Whats the scoop with these mid-lengths twinnies with channels I keep seeing?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Had mine for almost 2 years. Taken it to Bali, Mainland Mexico, Baja, the Basque coast of Spain and the wilds of New Jersey as well as at home in New York. Goes great. It's the only board I bring now when I travel and on my trip to Nicaragua last week, all my friends were begging to try it and now want to order one. I tried a bunch- the Doc version, Maurice Cole's and a few others and finally had the guys at Ghost Shapes in San Diego make me one. Of course after I got it my number came up for the Simon Jones Fiji that I had ordered a year before and hadn't heard a peep about but I ended up cancelling it. Gonna get another Ghost Shapes when this one dies.

Attachments

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Had mine for almost 2 years. Taken it to Bali, Mainland Mexico, Baja, the Basque coast of Spain and the wilds of New Jersey as well as at home in New York. Goes great. It's the only board I bring now when I travel and on my trip to Nicaragua last week, all my friends were begging to try it and now want to order one. I tried a bunch- the Doc version, Maurice Cole's and a few others and finally had the guys at Ghost Shapes in San Diego make me one. Of course after I got it my number came up for the Simon Jones Fiji that I had ordered a year before and hadn't heard a peep about but I ended up cancelling it. Gonna get another Ghost Shapes when this one dies.
What are the dims?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Mine is still surfable after 4 years. Has had one blown one fin box, some serious stress marks, the deck is starting to delam, and the other box recently got a little crushed.
Thinking about getting Beamish to make me one in the same dims; the ghostshapes look good but the stock dims are not mine.
hmmm

Reactions: Havoc

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
What did you think about the doc version?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Doc was way too flat from the front foot forward. A friend had one that I surfed in North County San Diego where it went OK (slopey waves) but I borrowed it on a trip to mainland Mexico and it sucked in bigger, steeper waves. Front would catch and it was just a dog. There is like zero rocker from mid point to where it flips a bit in the nose. But the flip occurs too far forward to be of any use, its more cosmetic than anything.

What I like about the Ghost Shapes Ghobra is that it has a more progressive rocker all the way through. Not a lot, but just enough. Once in awhile the nose gets in the way if I'm pushing it a little too hard but not often. Just surfed it at Colorados in Nicaragua which is a punchy beach break with a lot of curve where a too flat board would become very apparent and it went great.

What did you think about the doc version?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The Doc was way too flat from the front foot forward. A friend had one that I surfed in North County San Diego where it went OK (slopey waves) but I borrowed it on a trip to mainland Mexico and it sucked in bigger, steeper waves. Front would catch and it was just a dog. There is like zero rocker from mid point to where it flips a bit in the nose. But the flip occurs too far forward to be of any use, its more cosmetic than anything.

What I like about the Ghost Shapes Ghobra is that it has a more progressive rocker all the way through. Not a lot, but just enough. Once in awhile the nose gets in the way if I'm pushing it a little too hard but not often. Just surfed it at Colorados in Nicaragua which is a punchy beach break with a lot of curve where a too flat board would become very apparent and it went great.
Interesting! We’ll see how it goes, I was thinking more of a good wave twin with how foiled it is but sounds like it may have more of a lower end. We’ll see how it goes, the NE isn’t Mex but we do have punchy beach breaks.

ghost does look sick!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
My 6'10" shaped here in Nica. Originally had it shaped as a single fin and it went great later i had the shaper add two fin boxes so i could also ride it as a twin - goes great as a twin as well. I love the channels on this board they are not extreme and when you are going straight or slow you really can't feel anything but if you're hitting a fast bottom turn or doing a carve you can definitely feel or at least i can that extra bite. Chest high or above lined up waves and this board really shines.

20210811_112142.jpg

20210811_112213.jpg

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
What fins do you all like? I’m not sure I really consider my 6’3 a mid but still curious. Thinking the Lovelace twins will be good.
When i ride it as a single ... really like the Skip Frye fin as a twin the best so far has been the Torren Martyn set from Need Essentials. This board has been special .. although about the 5th session in i snapped it in half ... the only negative really is with duck diving on days where its pumping ... have torn up my shoulders trying to hang on to it. Dims ... 6'10" x 21 1/8 x2 3/4. Thinking about getting a scaled down version of it ... maybe 6'6" ~ 6'8" x 20 3/4 x 2 7/8 ... or something in that neighborhood ... would be a sick board especially for Nica.
20210813_071120.jpg

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
When i ride it as a single ... really like the Skip Frye fin as a twin the best so far has been the Torren Martyn set from Need Essentials. This board has been special .. although about the 5th session in i snapped it in half ... the only negative really is with duck diving on days where its pumping ... have torn up my shoulders trying to hang on to it. Dims ... 6'10" x 21 1/8 x2 3/4. Thinking about getting a scaled down version of it ... maybe 6'6" ~ 6'8" x 20 3/4 x 2 7/8 ... or something in that neighborhood ... would be a sick board especially for Nica.
View attachment 181024
Man you’re just rubbing it in now with a sick board and a hilux

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Man you’re just rubbing it in now with a sick board and a hilux
Ha Ha ... no @manbearpig if i was gonna rub it in i would have mentioned that the spot i am parked at is a sand bottom right hand point that depending on swell direction goes for a ripable 100- 150yds. It reminds me of Lowers only with 80-85deg water and only a handful of people out on a busy day.