what's the most versatile travel board?

Dec 1, 2004
I'm considering investing in a Pope Bisect travel board. I only get to travel for surf 1-2 times per year, but in a wide variety of places (Hawaii, Central America, Europe, Northeast US). I want to be sure and get wet once I get there...even if it's very small. I'm having trouble deciding which would be the most versatile design for me: 6'10" Fish, or a 9' high performance longboard. The fish seems a little long for me 5'10", 155 lbs. Historically I've ridden shortboards, but I'm out of practice and not getting any younger so maybe the longboard would best suit my purposes. What do you guys/gals think? Which one is the best all purpose design?

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
Those two boards seem on both ends of the spectrum, don't you think? In addition, given your height/weight (5'10", 155lbs), a Fish for you would be in the 5'8" - 5'9" range. I know b/c I'm 5'11", 155lbs and the Fish I'm ordering is 5'9".

If you are out of practice and your skill level isn't that up-to-par, why not something in the 6'4" to 7'0" range? Either a 6'4" short board that has a little more thickness to it; the thickness would aid you in your paddling/ability to catch waves....OR...maybe a 7'0" 'Fun Board'. I used a Fun Board w/ 3 fins back in college and it was a blast; good flotation like a long board, but with the 3 fins and shorter on the size, it manuevered a little looser than a long board.

Hope that helps...

Shwuz

Miki Dora status
Sep 26, 2003
Corpus Christi, TX
Visit site
I think the reason for the specific dimensions he listed there is that those sizes are what is offered as "stock" models from the bisect store. It should be mentioned that if you have the money and desire, any shape can be bisected by pope, so that gives you more options. I think harbour offers this as an option on their customs, so you might look into their boards.