what's the best QUAD fish you've ever surfed?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
My buddy moved to a landlocked state and left his EPS quad fish at my house. Decided to take it for a spin this morning in some marginal but clean surf in North County San Diego. Have had several twin keel fishes over the years, always been love/hate on those and haven't been riding any fishes recently but this made me re-think that.

I know many here have raved about Stamps' TKFs and Banjos. And I think a Mardawg quad fish made an appearance on here a few months ago which looked rad. Anybody have any other favorite quad setup fish? :fish:

win-win

Michael Peterson status
Jul 12, 2007
I had good memories of Hanels and Mandalas. Both had lokboxes to help with dialing in fin position/fins. I remember a 1/8 or a 1/4" adjustment made a huge difference. These surfed almost like a stubbier shorty and fared well in both reefs/bb.

Honorable mention was the Hynson BKQ. Fastest quad fish I've ridden. This board was an xtr version i got from Brownfish and had lokboxes as well.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
DK Swordfish. Picked up a 5'7" to try and love that thing. I've got to get around to ordering another one, but this time, 5'9".

win-win

Michael Peterson status
Jul 12, 2007
sushipop said:
Zamora X-Dialer. This one, in particular:
The OG X Dialer
sushipop said:
The OG X Dialer
Yeah, forgot about ZS, he made some sick ones. Got one from Havoc10K that had yellow brown swirly stuff with black pin lines, regrettably sold it. that was when I was trying new boards as soon as he could sell them, lolz

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
sushipop said:
The OG X Dialer
I had a Zamora HP Dialer that I absolutely loved!!!!

Quad fish: DK has made me a few over the years that have gone off and recently I'm super stoked on Michael Arenal. He's great to work with, and currently shaping me double wing quad fish #3

Honorable mention: Gary Hanel, Brian Bulkley, and Barry Snyder

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Peter Poppler/Backdoor Kauai soft 8 channel with glassed on handmade balsa fins

mine on the left

his niece, Sofia Barlow RIP (Jerrico's daughter) with hers

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I prefer my Stretch to my mackie. Only comparison I can make.

The Trashman

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 22, 2009
Whats the realistic wave range for a stretch quad fish? Would it work in chest - overheard, weird/pushy central CA waves?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
rts265 said:
b_sacamano said:
Stretch Quad Fish. Mine's looking worse for wear, but I'm gonna ride it into the ground.

STRETCH

Same. Only fish that I felt I could really rip on and not just cruise. From 1 foot to well overhead. Controllers fins.

There's a used 5'8:
https://store.stretchboards.com/product/used-quadfish-5-8-x-20-5-x-2-4

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
FalseLight said:
Whats the realistic wave range for a stretch quad fish? Would it work in chest - overheard, weird/pushy central CA waves?
Yes. will ride almost whatever you are willing to paddle into, IMO. It does have it's limits, but those days most boards wouldn't have made a difference for me.

The Trashman

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 22, 2009
Racer1 said:
rts265 said:
b_sacamano said:
Stretch Quad Fish. Mine's looking worse for wear, but I'm gonna ride it into the ground.

STRETCH

Same. Only fish that I felt I could really rip on and not just cruise. From 1 foot to well overhead. Controllers fins.

There's a used 5'8:
Would this work for someone that's 5'11" 170ish lbs (fullsuit, etc)? I typically surf boards around 29L but I have/love my stock 5'6" manta

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
FalseLight said:
Racer1 said:
rts265 said:
b_sacamano said:

STRETCH

There's a used 5'8:
Would this work for someone that's 5'11" 170ish lbs (fullsuit, etc)? I typically surf boards around 29L but I have/love my stock 5'6" manta
I have a 2win fish (quadfish but as a twin) that's a 5'3" x 19.5" x 2.25". I weigh 155 and am 5'8" and the board is a great size for me. I think it's like 29L or something and definitely paddles very well, but doesn't feel big on the wave.

Agree with Racer -- board is sick. I live in SF and the board has range. I actually have liked it the best when it's pumping, though will grovel too. Great one board quiver if you want to ride a fishy shape.