What's a good job that robots aren't likely to replace?

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
this post reminded me of an old "mummy one day surfboards quote"

...."when I’am stirring up another Hot Batch I always think of my principal he said I’d never amount to any thing and told me to find a job that you couldn't train a chippanze or make a silicone chimp to do..."

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
q. What is a good job that robots aren't likely to replace?

a1. Roofer. Hard work, but you are outside and can case the joint before your night 'job' starts.

a2. Network/systems engineer or technician who has a good handle on personal hygiene and can write above the 8th grade level.

a3. Dog walker/pet care provider. People have pets, but will pay someone else to take care of them while they waste their time doing something else.

a4. Huckster/grifter. Funny that people still are willing to trust those with a gift for gab and style. Hand-on hucksters takes more work than email spammers, but a little dirt under the fingernails does a person good.

a5. Be the person who knows how to run a CNC mill (or similar) , or better, how to service one, design on them, etc.

a6. Boomers are retiring. Provide them with what they want. Professional "gopher" or "fixer" without the mob look is your ticket to financial freedom. Practice your locution and read a few newspapers and non-picture based magazines a day to stay abreast of happening things.

a7. People are dying all the time. A robot chucking a frozen corpse into a grinder before composting the remains is the future. Put lipstick on that, hide the process behind a happy, joyous curtain, and sell the sizzle. Be sure to pull all the metal out of the corpse before grinding so you can save some maintenance costs, keep the gold teeth for your disturbing tooth necklace collection, and recycle those artificial joints..."Only 4 years of light use on these chromed titanium hip inserts with matching knees! Offered at $4000 for a set...$4000 to the good sir inthe front, do I see $4500?"

Nov 27, 2011
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the the word "the" twice each time in this sentence.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
a2. Network/systems engineer or technician who has a good handle on personal hygiene and can write above the 8th grade level.
Voice and data network engineering was my thing from 1979 - 1999. But when I went from designing private networks across Asia and the Middle East to branch networks in the midwest it quickly lost it's appeal.