What you gonna buy with that stimulus?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Imma gonna pay for getting my daughter's wisdom teeth removed. $2000 would have covered it....with insurance!
$600? Small dent in the dental bill.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Well the house just passed it for $2k, which now is up to senate gop to probably deny, but there is still a chance for the $2k to happen l!

that’s like 2 surfboards and a wetsuit!!

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
The one size fits all relief check doesn't make sense to me. For example, me and my spouse have been real fortunate where the pandemic has not effected us financially in a negative manner. Actually have been spending less on trips, shows, going out, etc where we have been saving money. Yet we both receive this stimulus check. We probably should be passing it on directly ourselves to someone who is in need. However we are human and humans are inherently selfish creatures so we have taken the money and spent it in the name of stimulating the economy (and my tackle box).

There should be a way to filter out those like myself who have not been hurt by the pandemic. I'm aware this would be really hard to do for there are so many factors to figure that out.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
The one size fits all relief check doesn't make sense to me. For example, me and my spouse have been real fortunate where the pandemic has not effected us financially in a negative manner. Actually have been spending less on trips, shows, going out, etc where we have been saving money. Yet we both receive this stimulus check. We probably should be passing it on directly ourselves to someone who is in need. However we are human and humans are inherently selfish creatures so we have taken the money and spent it in the name of stimulating the economy (and my tackle box).

There should be a way to filter out those like myself who have not been hurt by the pandemic. I'm aware this would be really hard to do for there are so many factors to figure that out.
whats also really starting to **** me off is there still going off of 2019 income. In 2019 I did fantastic - didnt qualify for the first stim..wasnt upset about it.

in 2020 i did horrible - didnt work one minute from April-August.

August - now sort of consistent but nothing lined up beyond this week.

In 2021 I sure could use some help now!

Reactions: JBerry and npsp

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
NYC extended the eviction moratorium til March.
All one has to do is CLAIM economic distress to stay in unpaid-for domicile.
Landlords not exactly thrilled.
:confused:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

My thoughts exactly.

We're whistling through the inflationary graveyard.

If they're going to run the printing press - and I wish they didn't - I'd rather see the money in the hands of the small businesses that have been destroyed by the shutdowns.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica

100%

I was laid-off in early April due to pandemic related belt-tightening (or so they said...) but was able to be "okay" thanks to the added UI benefits, severance, and some freelance work. And I was fortunate enough to land a new position at the end of August, so things are back to normal here. Wife and I have been able to save more than usual since we're not going out, traveling, etc. Being a selfish American, I'll of course take whatever the amount ends up being, but there's a very high possibility it will just end up sitting in a savings account. I'd rather see that money go directly to someone in the lower-end service sector/people in general that have been hammered by this pandemic, added UI benefits for people*, or a small business that desperately needs it.

*I realize fraud has been rampant, especially here in CA, which makes many (justifiably) wary of pumping more money into the system.

Reactions: racer1

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

Yeah, so hard, cause it's not like every single bit of your financial life is readily available at their fingertips with the click of a mouse and a few keystrokes, right? Then? Hey, it might even be easy.

The mistake with this idea is that your premise seems to be that anyone up there gives a rotten rat chit about you.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
My thoughts exactly.

We're whistling through the inflationary graveyard.
I noticed a few price increases over the summer for various things and services. There are deals to be had as people clamour for whatever business they can get, and nevermind some of these businesses are businessing rather, briskly in this competitive shake-up, and occasionally, alternately a monopoly-like lack of competitors as well.

It varies where you are, what you're buying and who you're buying it from but if you keep giving people $2000 every now and then, $2000 won't be as valuable as it was.

Add a foam blank shortage here, a whiplashed sold out wetsuit
Supply and millions of people with time on their hands sitting around watching Mason have more fun than should even be viewed by mere mortals, ever, and things could get expensive quick.
$5 wax. $100 parking surcharge, $200 if you drive a combustion engine. Ellie Jean on the house though, dime-a-dozen fallen surf divas for all rippers:shaka::jamon::nana::socrazy::dancing::dancing::ban::applause2:

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Just got ours in the mail today, a debit card.
All loaded up! Now, to figure out what to do with it.....
Who's got a good meaningful charity to donate to?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Just got ours in the mail today, a debit card.
All loaded up! Now, to figure out what to do with it.....
Who's got a good meaningful charity to donate to?
Did you have to apply for it? I had to enter my bank info to an IRS website last time.