What words or adjectives can you use to describe waves?

doppelgangster

Michael Peterson status
Oct 16, 2007
Hi everyone, it's been a while, but figured you might be able to help me out.. I'm looking for a long list of adjectives that we might use to describe waves. And if you have pictures to go along with them, that would be great. I'm pulling together a slide show to help introduce my students to waves, and I figured it would be cool to show them all the different types of ocean waves out there. Thanks for your help!

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
21E60A27-C1AE-41CA-9B60-0F003C0BE610.png
These are the archetypes you would learn about in an academic setting. See the types section on the wiki Page. Go through the descriptions and throw in some lingo like mushburger, fatty roller, drainer, dank nugz etc. You could also look up the iribarren number which relates wavelength, wave height and beach slope to breaker type.

look up photos of your favorite mushy point, hollow reef/heavy beach break tube spots, and a shore pound photo and you’ll be dialed in.

Last edited:

doppelgangster

Michael Peterson status
Oct 16, 2007
You guys are great :ROFLMAO: (by the way, when did we get old school smilies back?
I'm thinking things like round, square, soft, small, big, giant, smooth, rough....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Bitchin’
Gnarly
Sketchy
Cranking

Where you been?

Maybe waves&babes will check in...

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
A wave may be "sick." Does sick mean the wave is so big and throwing forward, and somebody dared to try it? What exactly does sick mean? I think sick comes from a wave that shakes your head so hard, it's like a concussion, and when you surface you are dizzy, seeing stars, and nauseous.