What was your first job?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I had a paper-route in 4th grade that I inherited from my older sisters that I did for the afternoon paper (they went out of business in the 80s and merged with The Oregonian).

In retrospect, it is interesting to consider me collecting $3 from everyone once a month and carried all that cash home....never lost any of it.

Later jobs in approximate order of employment:

A. Babysitting - for many years
B. Seasonal fruit picking and neighborhood yard work - for many years
C. Busboy/dishwasher at Barney Bagel & Suzie Creamcheese - one season
D. Warehouse worker/mail stuffer - high school summers
E. fry cook at Taco Bell - we made everything fresh back then, just got packaged spices and sauces - a summer
F. night clerk at convenience store - Plaid Pantry, fun to tell the high school jerks to f*ckoff when they wanted to buy beer
G. worked in Reser's Fine Foods in the sausage making factory
H. worked in Beaverton Foods in the mustard packaging section (horseradish day was a nightmare, wear your mask!)
I. worked in packaging section for Oregon Cutting Systems (saw chain packing, wear your Kevlar gloves)
J. office furniture mover
K. dishwasher at university foodhall
L. fancy cafe job

Oh, and once, was a child "model" for a photoshoot for chainsaw parts (the company bar and chain where I later got to work in the chain packaging section). Got to stand next to my father (also in the shoot) and gesture at a mock-up of a chainsaw needing to be sharpened or have the bar/chain replaced. Because of the family connections, neither of us were paid for the roll.

Many years later, when a friend retired early at 57, part of his reasoning, when asked why he wanted to retire early, was "I've been working since I got out of college. I am tired of it." When I asked him if her worked as a kid, like a summer job or pushing a lawn mower, he said his folks wouldn't let him and wanted him to concentrate on his studies.....more proof my parents didn't love me ;)

So you didn't work at the Vicente location and never got to know Glenn?
I did not work at the Vicente location but I definitely spent a good amount of time there.

Reactions: Mr Doof

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Always wondered what the learning curve was like for a good soft serve cone. Figure the first few cones must've been a disaster. What's the technique? Is it all in the wrist? Shoulder movement? A sturdy wide base?
Fill the cone, bump, make a soft ice cream ball, bump, smaller ball, bump, slow swirl, shut off lever. All in the wrist, and I was 13, not a clue about girls, so it was good training for later in life!

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
I've been in Local 12, operating engineers for 26 years. I have apprentices coming in THAT HAVE NEVER HAD A PREVIOUS JOB!! Some of them have had jobs and are so stoked to be making what they make, not to mention they know that there are raises every 1000 hours. I had 1 young man come out as an HDR/welder. I was wearing coveralls, my uniform of choice. Anyway, this kid looked at me and asked me if I get this dirty often. I told him I get this dirty EVERY DAY! He lasted 2 days. Didn't want to get his hands dirty.....

Reactions: keenfish

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
The only two things you need to know about cricket in Barbados are banks and mt gay. The rest will naturally follow.

farm hand (corn and blueberry) illegally. Supermarket cashier for 3 weeks, asked for a new gig as I was not cut outas a cashier and was placed in produce for afternoon/closing. Best gig ever. Chit chatting with customers, the deli ladies loved me and made the best sandwiches for me. The mom and pop pharmacy in the produce section noticed me and offered a gig. That started my pharma career with a few rotations in landscaping/hardscaping, clamming and RA in college.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
another thread about passwords.

:shrug::computer::beer::shameonyou:
Typical password hints and how to actually fill them out:

Name of first pet = name of first person you got to 3rd base with

Name of first car = brand of contraception used for the first time

Mother Maiden name = name of famous person who most closely looks like your mom

Name of city where you were born/grew up/lived the longest = the "dream" city you want to go to on vacation

Your best friend = name of per you hate the most

Favorite food/meal = nationality of the food/meal

Favorite color = favorite number

Favorite number = how many people you have had sex with

First job = job you hated the most

Father's middle name = George Washington

Aug 24, 2021
I was a cashier at my father's store. I liked it because my father was giving me too much money for that job. After graduating from college, I understood how easy I got that job. I failed a lot of job interviews before getting a job. I am an introvert, and it is hard for me to communicate, which is a significant disadvantage if the employee notices this. This is why I have read many articles on jobs and career.tips, on how to behave in a job interview and was repeating the fundamental questions at home, in front of the mirror.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've been in Local 12, operating engineers for 26 years. I have apprentices coming in THAT HAVE NEVER HAD A PREVIOUS JOB!! Some of them have had jobs and are so stoked to be making what they make, not to mention they know that there are raises every 1000 hours. I had 1 young man come out as an HDR/welder. I was wearing coveralls, my uniform of choice. Anyway, this kid looked at me and asked me if I get this dirty often. I told him I get this dirty EVERY DAY! He lasted 2 days. Didn't want to get his hands dirty.....
12 is San Diego, right? I was a laborer local 89. I don’t remember working with any new operators, all old hands. All kinds of crane work from cherry pickers to tower cranes and everything in between. Pretty much everything that dug or pounded dirt. I learned a ton from those guys. There was one guy, Andy Ruiz, that ran a D9 cat, tried to set me up with his daughter. She was a looker too but between dad and mom they tipped the scale at 500lbs. Looking into the future...

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
12 is San Diego, right? I was a laborer local 89. I don’t remember working with any new operators, all old hands. All kinds of crane work from cherry pickers to tower cranes and everything in between. Pretty much everything that dug or pounded dirt. I learned a ton from those guys. There was one guy, Andy Ruiz, that ran a D9 cat, tried to set me up with his daughter. She was a looker too but between dad and mom they tipped the scale at 500lbs. Looking into the future...

My dad encouraged me to consider being an equipment operator.

He was an a Union Ironworker/rodbuster in San Diego working with rebar and wire ties all day. Pick up a stack drop, bend over and tie it. Or climb up a wall or pillar, place it, tie it.

He'd look up at the operators during the summer sitting in their box and say "They make how much sitting in that air conditioned box"? He understand the responsibility/risks and expertise, but he also knew they went home with pretty clean hands at the end of the day.

I never went into construction, but I inherited his inability to fix much. Unless you could fix it with tie wire and pliers, he was pretty hopeless.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

He was an a Union Ironworker/rodbuster in San Diego working with rebar and wire ties all day. Pick up a stack drop, bend over and tie it. Or climb up a wall or pillar, place it, tie it.

He'd look up at the operators during the summer sitting in their box and say "They make how much sitting in that air conditioned box"? He understand the responsibility/risks and expertise, but he also knew they went home with pretty clean hands at the end of the day.

I never went into construction, but I inherited his inability to fix much. Unless you could fix it with tie wire and pliers, he was pretty hopeless.
With necessity and initiative I’ve found that there are a shitton of things that can be fixed with alambre recocido (tie wire) and pinzas (pliers). Bolting up beams up in the air, those guys are crazy. No thanks.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
With necessity and initiative I’ve found that there are a shitton of things that can be fixed with alambre recocido (tie wire) and pinzas (pliers). Bolting up beams up in the air, those guys are crazy. No thanks.

Yeah. He didn't do the big red I beams, more foundations, concrete forms, walls, columns.

He definitely fell off of a 65 foot freeway column.
Well, more accurately, the column was not secured correctly and it collapsed with him and another dude on it.

• Wow
Reactions: LifeOnMars

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006

All of Socal, my brother! I have been very fortunate in the trade. I am beat up from the feet up, but old age and knowledge have allowed me to be able to school a younger man! I can say that the past 26 years have flown by. I have enjoyed myself at work, daily.

Been out for 3 1/2 months, scalpel within the next 6 weeks. Looking all over Panama and Costa Rica. Have chatted with a few people on the erBB about this in PM's. So looking forward the the last part of this story. Hope it last years!!

Reactions: Subway

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Been out for 3 1/2 months, scalpel within the next 6 weeks. Looking all over Panama and Costa Rica. Have chatted with a few people on the erBB about this in PM's. So looking forward the the last part of this story. Hope it last years!!

I knew a SD crane operator that retired to Pavones. Don't know if he's still there

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
valet parker Spaghetti Factory in Newport at 15 yrs old - yes 15 - neighbor ran the lot and was short workers one day and he knew I was driving already so asked me to work. Mid 1980s - not sure that would happen these days

Reactions: keenfish

Norm'

Duke status
Jan 31, 2003
Lovetron
First real job: 16 Park Ranger. Keep dogs off of the beach, make people dump out alcohol, write parking tickets.

I had a radio, and running shoes.