What was your first job?

Jan 3, 2024
14 - legal office bitch for a guy I coached baseball with and needed help at his practice. Would finish my work then do pushups in my office for the rest of the day

Reactions: john4surf

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Busboy. Provino's Italian restaurant in Atlanta. Changed my life. Best damn Italian rolls in history and two of the waitresses were super hot punk rock chicks who told me wild stories about the 688 club downtown and introduced me to all kinds of music I'd have never known about otherwise when we cranked up the stereo after the restaurant closed. I very specifically remember a ride home with one of 'em listening to the B-52's Planet Claire. I was so crazy for her - and she was so out of my league. One of those nights after a ride home from work, I got home and Fear played on SNL. The episode was heavily discussed the next night at work. My first night at 688 after I got my fake ID was actually Fetchin Bones - this very show.

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
For two Summers in '73 and '74, when I would be 12 and 13, I was a 'Migrant Worker'. I'd spend 3 months at my cousin's place outside of Erie, PA working the various farms picking vegetables for 12 hours a day for $1 an hour and all the raw veggies we could eat. Some days were spent gathering Hay Bales and delivering to the local Quarter Horse Stables. Those were much easier, since we would actually get a break while riding the truck to various stables. It was also my first experience with Moonshine. It was a hot day and I saw a couple of bottles of what I thought was water near the door of the barn in some shade. Popped open the top and took a big swig... It wasn't water... After the initial shock and burn, I thought... hmmm, I like it and took another drink. The Farmer thought I was a bit odd... Certainly could explain the events of a few years later that were a bit darker in nature.
I also got to feel my first boob that second summer. A somewhat 'developmentally advanced' 13 yo girl, dark theater and a halter top.

Jun 7, 2015
My first job actually started a bit later in life, two years ago, when I was 24. Before jumping into the workforce, I spent a lot of time volunteering at various places, which was rewarding and taught me a lot about teamwork and communication. This experience was important to me, giving me a strong sense of community and helping skills.

When I decided it was time to start my career, I found my first job on https://afnicareers.com/. I landed a position in Customer Service, and surprisingly, I'm still working there. It's been a great journey; dealing with different types of customers has really improved my problem-solving and communication skills. Plus, the sense of achievement when I'm able to help someone is genuinely fulfilling.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Grocery bagger. To this day I hate having anyone else bag my groceries. Can't believe some of these kids call themselves professionals.
I was fast but sloppy.

I was the only box boy on Friday afternoon and the store would be packed.

I would go into crazy over drive.

Box for 6 checkers, help people out, get carts.

The manager hated me but he gave me that shift.

One time there was a car engine on fire in the parking lot and put the fire out.

I got burned in the process.

I came in and they yelled at me for being gone.

I was like, "No, I just stopped a car fire! Look at my burned hand!"

They were like we don't care!

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
My Social Security wage summer jobs as a youth, in order:

1. At age 16--Worked at a cattle feedlot owned by a family friend. Got to ride horses and force the cattle into the chute with electrical prods, where all sorts of additional tortures were inflicted (e.g.--cut their balls off; force pills down their throat with large metal tubes; lance boils with a hot knife).

2. At age 17--Red Carpet Car Wash in the summer, in Fresno. Hellish heat. My job was to drive the car off the line and then dust and clean the interior, and give the car keys back to the owners, who often tipped. I made some decent scratch. Fun summer. Red Carpet Car Wash still exists at the same location.

3. At age 18, the summer right before college--Installed insulation in new residential construction, again in the Fresno heat. I learned to drive a stick shift truck just by trial and error. Saved up some for spending money in college.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ah yes, summertime in Fresno.

Sweltering heat, no ocean breeze, visibility for at least a mile from the less than stellar air quality, and cruising Blackstone for hot latino hoochie mamas.

• Haha
Reactions: ringer

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
delivered the pv news on my bike.

which sucked because, a) the deal was you got paid by collecting door to door from the monthly cash subscibers. which was, b) kinda interesting hitting up the day drinking, valium laced pv housewives for cash, but not very lucrative since they could never find their purses when i showed up

plus c) 50+ papers at a time were fn heavy on the bars and was all i could carry in one go, so i had to head back home to reload twice in my heyday of 135 subscribers.

and lastly and most importantly d) we didnt call it the hill for nothing. was a brutal leg workout. so much so that when i d had enough and passed the route down to my little brother, he got mom to drive him. to this day, dude is a little bitch

Reactions: Fishyhb

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
So in catholic school gymnasiums all over the place, bingo was a big community thing, mostly for the old people. My parents volunteered at bingo, calling numbers and other stuff at the parish school I went to.
from when I was may 12-14 I worked for tips “selling” coffee, tea, soda, snacks and pizza

it was good pocket money for a kid, got me used to dealing with adults, and we took leftover pizza hime

it was really good pizza. I can still remember that pizza really well

Moved on to paper routes and penny saver delivery before “real jobs” at 16

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
and we took leftover pizza hime

it was really good pizza. I can still remember that pizza really well
Leftover pizza is the t!ts.

In the mid 90's, while going to community college (hard to believe as I know I come off much smarter;)), I worked at a liquor store and all the major beer brands started printing a 'born on date' on their products. I forget what the cutoff was for the product to be pulled, but as soon as the sales rep gave us credit it was fair game. I wasn't even 21 yet which was extra awesomer. :cheers:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
My favorite "first job" was part-time busboy, Saturday nites, starting in 11th grade, at the Tikis Polynesian Extravaganza in Monterey Park, CA, for 2 years. They had a Polynesian floor show of dancers from Tahiti, Hawaii, Tonga, etc. The dancing girls were hot and out of my league. I was only 16. But the hostesses were my age and cute, and I got to date a few of them. After a year I got promoted to a spotlight on the show which was FUN.

After that, my first full-time job was dreary as hell, working in a stinking print shop, cutting paper with a manual paper cutter. At the end of the day, walking outside the air was sooo SWEET. I lasted maybe 6 months, then decided to go to college full time as an art student.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Not my first job, but first full-time job with beni's was working for the town's water and sewer dept. Loved my first week. Being outside in a beach town digging up streets, yards, and sidewalks to repair broken waterlines was fun. Second week we had our first sewer line to repair. I watched a coworker stand in a muddy hole full of dookie water and cut out a broken piece of sewer pipe with a two-stroke rotary saw. Brown water slung all over this man. That day at lunch I went back to the office and handed in my stuff. :sick: Wasn't bout that life. Well, not for what they were paying anyways.

Last edited: