What Style Surfer Are You?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Front footed.
Same here. Still haven't figured out how to consistently drive off the back foot to generate speed. I always find myself leaning heavy on the front foot thinking its going to help me keep my speed, and in some cases it does, but I need to learn when and where on the wave to switch it up.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Same here. Still haven't figured out how to consistently drive off the back foot to generate speed. I always find myself leaning heavy on the front foot thinking its going to help me keep my speed, and in some cases it does, but I need to learn when and where on the wave to switch it up.
I’ve never been too worried about it myself. I’d rather be front footed than turning just off the tail.

I’m all about going as fast as possible, making the wave/turning only when needed and trying to get tubes.

Playing around on an Indo board would be my advice. I made a rad one myself with some pvc, grip tape and a really nice piece of wood all from HD for cheap. Ripped off the Rolo design so I could practice heel/toe too.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I’ve never been too worried about it myself. I’d rather be front footed than turning just off the tail.

I’m all about going as fast as possible, making the wave/turning only when needed and trying to get tubes.

Playing around on an Indo board would be my advice. I made a rad one myself with some pvc, grip tape and a really nice piece of wood all from HD for cheap. Ripped off the Rolo design so I could practice heel/toe too.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Indo board? Why not use a skateboard and have some fun?

• Haha
Reactions: deforestcooper

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Since i surf sh!t beach break I feel like I am always trying to get speed, when I get on a fast wave I have to remind myself to relax and harness the speed, not chase it. Makes me spazztic haha. Usually takes a few good ones where I can remember how to surf a wave with more than a cutback and a closeout section. Frustrating. Never surfed a point break, Id probably just stand their and have a panic attack.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Someone once said I surf like Jeff Hakman. Another person said I surf like Reno Abellira. So I think my style must be very 70's. Probably has to do with riding mid lengths...

That said, now, with all my ailments, I think if someone says my style is 70's, they mean 70 years old...

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Someone once said I surf like Jeff Hakman. Another person said I surf like Reno Abellira. So I think my style must be very 70's. Probably has to do with riding mid lengths...

That said, now, with all my ailments, I think if someone says my style is 70's, they mean 70 years old...
Smooth though!

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Since i surf sh!t beach break I feel like I am always trying to get speed, when I get on a fast wave I have to remind myself to relax and harness the speed, not chase it. Makes me spazztic haha. Usually takes a few good ones where I can remember how to surf a wave with more than a cutback and a closeout section. Frustrating. Never surfed a point break, Id probably just stand their and have a panic attack.
SHt
This ☝is me!!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Dude.

If you've never surfed a point break, you need to take a trip ASAP.

Life is too short.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

This is me every winter when I go to Santa Cruz when it gets too big to get out elsewhere.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
You actually have to think. "Calm down buddy now fade the bottom turn, okay we have time for a big carve to setup this next hit, then we can see our position from there"

as opposed to "PUMP PUMP MAYBE A HIT AFTER THIS CHECKTURN AHHHHHH A B A B UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT START"

Homebreak is at 1:11 on this video of Kevin Schulz ( it should link you to that part)

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Wiggolly is the man! Hes young too!

Name a regular footer that matches his spray and technique??
JKB... what about Wardo?? Chris Ward has been doing some insane surfing throwing tons of spray!!! Almost like a Wiggolly type style. You recon it’s timing and placement or just power or maybe a longer board?? He does seem super quick and snappy in his turns, but tons of power and tons of spray!!

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I surf like an f’ing kook most of the time, then sometimes surprise myself with a semi-competent wave with multiple decent turns. I’d like to work more on even flow throughout the wave and not looking or feeling spastic. No wasted movement. I’m way better at this on a log.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
JKB... what about Wardo?? Chris Ward has been doing some insane surfing throwing tons of spray!!! Almost like a Wiggolly type style. You recon it’s timing and placement or just power or maybe a longer board?? He does seem super quick and snappy in his turns, but tons of power and tons of spray!!
With lighter guys, like Machado and Wiggoly, I think it's more about speed, timing and placement. Heavier guys like Ward and Pancho Sullivan have the speed, timing and placement, but with the added benefit of some weight behind their turns.

Reactions: deforestcooper

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I surf like an f’ing kook most of the time, then sometimes surprise myself with a semi-competent wave with multiple decent turns. I’d like to work more on even flow throughout the wave and not looking or feeling spastic. No wasted movement. I’m way better at this on a log.
I dont think you look like an f'ing kook! You are the style master! :cool::shaka: The VonSol Whisperer!