What Style Surfer Are You?

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Yes and yes - this is exactly why i got a Simon Anderson single flyer heritage with v bottom to try and surf like this.
I recently bought a Simon Anderson 80’s style V bottom and the thing is so fun. Sales pitch was “High performance with a retro soul”:rolleyes: but I guess he pretty much nailed it.

Last edited:

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
I surf so much by myself that I don't think of how I look while surfing, maybe I should more. Dorian was probably the biggest influence on me growing up, that's who I wanted to surf like. Now, I guess it's who you watch, still watch Mick, Dane and Curren more than most

Like Mike February's style

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I don’t think one should strive for style. It should just happen as you get better, and each individual will develop a unique style. Some just naturally look good and many don’t.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don’t think one should strive for style. It should just happen as you get better, and each individual will develop a unique style. Some just naturally look good and many don’t.
I know what you mean and like the sentiment; however, style does need to be worked on. Where you place your arms and how you position yourself will help you improve your technique and make you look like a better surfer (if that matters to you). Some people DGAF and that's fine too.

Reactions: sjlist

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Think about caroline marks, if she had no arms flapping she would be a lot more pleasing because she can turn well.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
The kind that surfs way better in my head than I actually do, and think I'm better than most in the water... if only I didn't fark up so much.

foamdust

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 6, 2002
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'd say aim for power, but I'm built like a chihuahua... anyhow, I try to be smooth like Machado/Slater and hack it like Knox with a bit of Reynolds flair... sans airs... cause I don't try it enough.
At my age, mid 60s, I’m happy to catch the wave, get to my feet and do a couple turns. A few months short of joining the Medicare Generation...907A0F2C-69D4-4212-B6A9-85ECEB2C0989.gif

Last edited: