What should we do about these uppity dweebs?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
China rattles sabres as world battles coronavirus pandemic

The U.S. State Department said China was taking advantage of the region's focus on the pandemic to "coerce its neighbours".

In a significant strike against democracy activists in Chinese-ruled Hong Kong, police in the city arrested 15 people on Saturday, just days after a senior Beijing official called for the local government to introduce national security legislation "as soon as possible."

China has also been flying regular fighter patrols near Chinese-claimed Taiwan, to the island's anger, and has sent a survey ship flanked by coast guard and other vessels into the South China Sea, prompting the United States to accuse Beijing of "bullying behaviour."

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I don’t know. Perhaps ask our military generals and admirals. We still have those, right? I don’t think they’ve all been fired yet for trying to do their jobs.

• Dislike
Reactions: mundus and redrider

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
You don’t have an opinion on China using this emergency, which they caused, to further destroy HK ?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
China rattles sabres as world battles coronavirus pandemic

The U.S. State Department said China was taking advantage of the region's focus on the pandemic to "coerce its neighbours".

In a significant strike against democracy activists in Chinese-ruled Hong Kong, police in the city arrested 15 people on Saturday, just days after a senior Beijing official called for the local government to introduce national security legislation "as soon as possible."

China has also been flying regular fighter patrols near Chinese-claimed Taiwan, to the island's anger, and has sent a survey ship flanked by coast guard and other vessels into the South China Sea, prompting the United States to accuse Beijing of "bullying behaviour."
This is the kind of sh!t that fuels the conspiracy theories that China purposefully released this from a lab

Although it's just realpolitik. Everyone else is distracted, and they've wiped out the millions who got the Rona in China, and are now taking advantage of the chaos

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Are you asking how to contain the Chinese Communist Party? That would require massive reforms of our behavior.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
This is the kind of sh!t that fuels the conspiracy theories that China purposefully released this from a lab

Although it's just realpolitik. Everyone else is distracted, and they've wiped out the millions who got the Rona in China, and are now taking advantage of the chaos
i can easily believe that they took affirmative steps to spread it to rivals knowing that they would be better able to control their population and emerge from the chaos sooner

Reactions: Ifallalot

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
China is a real problem, getting more and more aggro in South China Sea. They kinda have us by the shorthairs seeing how economically dependent we are on them.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I'm thinking we'll redo a lot of our trading patterns with them. Guessing the tariff jousting is just starting.

We have to reverse this kind of strategic blundering asap:

Last month, the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission held a hearing on the United States’ growing reliance on China's pharmaceutical products. The topic reminded me of a spirited discussion described in Bob Woodward’s book, Fear: Trump in the White House. In the discussion, Gary Cohn, then chief economic advisor to President Trump, argued against a trade war with China by invoking a Department of Commerce study that found that 97 percent of all antibiotics in the United States came from China.

I also think we should be playing some heavy offense right now with aid packages to African and Latin American nations. I'd also like to see a temporary relaxation of some of our sanctions with Iran and Cuba, if they are impacting humanitarian goods.

I'd much rather see footage of a USAF transport plane landing in Tehran to drop of donated medical supplies all stamped with a US flag, than see headlines like this:

Reactions: Woke AF

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Everyone got mad a T_P for the trade war with China but the reality is that we needed to get off their manufacturing sauce immediately. The idea that we were going to make them into a liberal democracy by making them rich has not panned-out. We need to start making stuff again if for no other reason than to starve the CCP beast.

There are about 350 million members of the CCP out of a Chinese population of 1.2 billion. (I'm going somewhere with this).

A very close relative works for a government agency that busts IP thieves in the US. This relative is almost always busting middle-age Chinese men. We have no idea how many of those coming over on academic or work visas are just here to steal on behalf of the CCP and/or PLA. We shouldn't be allowing them to take spots in school or work for our kids, especially just to steal tech that will be used against us, other free countries like Taiwan, or against their own people.

We need to stop letting the CCP build Confucius Institutes and other organs of propaganda and intimidation here. Ed Calderon, on Joe Rogan's podcast, described how the CCP sponsored some of the autodefensas in Mexico to benefit their mining interests there. There are an uncounted number of PLA probably staged here. It would be easy for them to ship and stage weapons here as well.

H. John Poole has written a very good book on this topic.

A head on military conflict would ruin us both.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Everyone got mad a T_P for the trade war with China but the reality is that we needed to get off their manufacturing sauce immediately. The idea that we were going to make them into a liberal democracy by making them rich has not panned-out. We need to start making stuff again if for no other reason than to starve the CCP beast.

There are about 350 million members of the CCP out of a Chinese population of 1.2 billion. (I'm going somewhere with this).

A very close relative works for a government agency that busts IP thieves in the US. This relative is almost always busting middle-age Chinese men. We have no idea how many of those coming over on academic or work visas are just here to steal on behalf of the CCP and/or PLA. We shouldn't be allowing them to take spots in school or work for our kids, especially just to steal tech that will be used against us, other free countries like Taiwan, or against their own people.

We need to stop letting the CCP build Confucius Institutes and other organs of propaganda and intimidation here. Ed Calderon, on Joe Rogan's podcast, described how the CCP sponsored some of the autodefensas in Mexico to benefit their mining interests there. There are an uncounted number of PLA probably staged here. It would be easy for them to ship and stage weapons here as well.

H. John Poole has written a very good book on this topic.

A head on military conflict would ruin us both.
WE ALSO MUST PUT AN END TO SHEN YUN!!!

1587503499523.png

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Last go-around, Senator Jim Webb ran for the Dem nomination for Prez and came in DFL. He's been calling for a pivot to Asia for decades now. In 2015 he said this, somewhat foretellingly:
WEBB: But I believe that our most important, long-term, strategic challenge is our relationship with China. And it is many-pronged, as everyone in this room, I think, knows. We tend to forget in our national discussion that these are two completely different political and governing systems. And we are interdependent in some ways, but we also are very different in other ways and we're seeing some of these other ways come to a head right now, the expansionism of the Chinese military, the cyber warfare situation that I mentioned the other night, and we can talk more about that. That's number one.
Of course, in 2015 Trump probably couldn't even find China on a map. Maybe he still can't, but now he has a sharpie and could draw one somewhere.