What should America do about the childhood obesity epidemic?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
High fructose corn syrup, a very common substance in processed foods, is metabolized as a toxin. Leafy greens, on the other hand, are not.

So whatdaya think, grape, is a person fed leafy greens more or less likely to gain weight than a person fed highly processed food? I suspect you would say there would be no difference if they were fed the same amount of calories, right?
Yes, but the processed food biases you toward over eating.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I remember having physical education as a mandatory subject from first grade through high school. Is this no longer the case? Why?

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Someone who is overeating by 1000 calories/day worth of almonds, avocados, chicken thighs and veggies is still going to put on excess fat, just like the person eating 1000 calories worth of potato chips and ice cream. The difference is that the whole foods diet person may put on slightly less fat and build more muscle because of a higher digestive thermic effect and more protein, but the changes in overall weight gain will be similar.
In addition to experiencing far greater satiation (apt to eat less), having more energy (inclined to be more active and burn more calories), the individual with a good diet will avoid a host of other issue suffered by the poor fool consuming ice cream and chips. This is why diets and counting calories doesn’t work. Poison in moderation is still poison and you’ll have to continually deal with how it negatively affects your body and appetites.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I tell fatsos they just need to add 1-3 protien shakes a day.

They don't like it because it compromises their abitly to over eat.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In addition to experiencing far greater satiation (apt to eat less), having more energy (inclined to be more active and burn more calories), the individual with a good diet will avoid a host of other issue suffered by the poor fool consuming ice cream and chips.
Again, all of those are indirect effects. You are really struggling to differentiate between direct and indirect effects on metabolic rate. Any effect on metabolic rate via food choice is insignificant relative to the effect of overall caloric intake. A 1000 calorie surplus of whole foods is still a 1000 calorie surplus, and may have a slight thermic advantage via digestion compared to 1000 calories of Soda, but you are talking maybe a 10% difference at best and it will still result in weight gain.

This is why diets and counting calories doesn’t work.
bs. People do it all the time but it requires discipline and knowledge that most people don't have and cannot sustain long term. I do agree though that is not the greatest strategy, however at the end of the day any weight loss strategy that works will do so by reducing caloric intake. Even if that reduction in calories is done so through indirect means, such as eating more satiating whole foods that tend to be less calorically dense as opposed to processed foods.

These guys lost weight eating mcdonalds everyday, but within their caloric balance. The last was done with twinkies.

Poison in moderation is still poison and you’ll have to continually deal with how it negatively affects your body and appetites.
Relevant in the broader picture, but again, there is still no direct metabolic effect. You are deflecting away from that into indirect effects in order to make your point.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
:LOL: And yet for some odd reason none of them are recommending their “healthy” diets.
Nor am I. This discussion was never about what's healthy vs not in terms of diet, it was about what causes obesity. Try to keep up instead of constantly derailing to distract from your failed gotchas, it makes you look like a fool.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
This discussion was never about what's healthy vs not in terms of diet, it was about what causes obesity.
With a healthy diet and a reasonable amount of exercise, it's actually difficult to gain weight. You won't get food cravings, your body may occasionally be in ketosis, etc.

With a crappy diet and lot's of exercise, it's difficult to not gain weight. More of your calories will be converted into fat, you'll have food cravings, energy swings, and generally feel like sh!t so will probably be less active.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
With a healthy diet and a reasonable amount of exercise, it's actually difficult to gain weight. You won't get food cravings, your body may occasionally be in ketosis, etc.
OF course, but you are still ignoring the driving factor- a caloric deficit. If you go over your caloric deficit with "healthy" high calorie foods like avos, almonds, olive oil etc you will still gain weight just like you would with processed foods. There is no getting around thermodynamics, although I do agree that choosing whole foods, especially high quality proteins and veggies, is a good way to indirectly reduce caloric intake.

Also, keto is BS as a weight loss strategy and was debunked years ago. When in excess, people on keto still gain weight. Their bodies simply become more adept at converting fat into energy, however you are also consuming more dietary fat so it only pulls from body fat stores when in excess.

Lemme guess . . . . You're a Gary Taubes fan :unsure: :roflmao:

With a crappy diet and lot's of exercise, it's difficult to not gain weight. More of your calories will be converted into fat, you'll have food cravings, energy swings, and generally feel like sh!t so will probably be less active.
Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. You do understand the difference between DIRECT and INDIRECT effects, don't you? :unsure: The links I posted above show that you can still lose weight with a crappy diet as long as calories are in check.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
If you go over your caloric deficit with "healthy" high calorie foods like avos, almonds, olive oil etc you will still gain weight just like you would with processed foods.
I eat those things almost every day, and while I do like them I don't crave them, I'd have to force myself to eat so much that I'd go over my caloric deficit. And I'm perfectly satiated throughout the day.

If I ate processed foods I would begin to crave them and would generally be prone to being hungrier. I'd also have energy swings and would probably tend to be less active.

Can't you see the difference here?

Lemme guess . . . . You're a Gary Taubes fan
I mentioned ketosis, not a keto diet. :rolleyes:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I can eat way too many nuts
Easily
And often
But in general, yes, I agree

Most people aren’t going to eat a strictly healthy diet
You can eat healthy and add in some ice cream and still be healthy
Until you take a few hits off the pipe and before you realize it you finished off a half gallon of ice cream

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I eat those things almost every day, and while I do like them I don't crave them, I'd have to force myself to eat so much that I'd go over my caloric deficit. And I'm perfectly satiated throughout the day.
Thank you for finally recognizing the driving factor (in bold).

If I ate processed foods I would begin to crave them and would generally be prone to being hungrier. I'd also have energy swings and would probably tend to be less active.

Can't you see the difference here?
Yes. Nowhere am I disagreeing with any of this. what I'm saying is that these are indirect effects on caloric intake based on food choice, not any food being inherently obesogenic.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
what I'm saying is that these are indirect effects on caloric intake based on food choice, not any food being inherently obesogenic.
“Foods are the main source of obesogens. Some obesogens occur naturally in food, but most are environmental chemicals, entering food as a foreign substance, whether in the form of contaminants or additives, and they are used in a large amount in highly processed food.” — www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

:foreheadslap:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I can eat way too many nuts
Easily
And often
But in general, yes, I agree

Most people aren’t going to eat a strictly healthy diet
You can eat healthy and add in some ice cream and still be healthy
Until you take a few hits off the pipe and before you realize it you finished off a half gallon of ice cream
I tried smoking pot again instead of drinking to avoid the empty calories..

Then I was like, Oh, sh!t! The munchies!

I forget about those.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky