What should America do about the childhood obesity epidemic?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I was thinking the other day about how we are being served mixed messages.

On the one hand "body positivity" is being promoted, "healthy and beautiful at any weight," and on the other hand this "epidemic."

Can't be both.
you could keep the best part of pony positivity and mix it with guidance to fix the epidemic and have most people be ok with it

the best part of body positivity is the idea that you don’t shame the fat person. They are not bad because they are fat, but they are not healthy because they are fat
or they are headed towards being unhealthy because of their weight

you can make the message something other than ”fat people are bad” and change it to ”people at or above a certain weight are increasing the likelihood of many different medical issues”
and most, not all, but most people would be ok with it

Reactions: kidfury

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The obsession with self image and especially the obsession with what others are eating or what they look like is unhealthy. "healthy and beautiful at any weight," is just a response to incessant preaching about what ohers eat or do with their life.

Not everybody is into dissecting their nutritional habits or obsessed what they look like or into excercise.
That doesn't mean that they eat McDonald's every day or that they are dumb.
People enjoy life in their own way, as always, the message should be more about moderation than radical diet plans.

People live into their 90's even though they may like a glass of wine with a meal or a slice of bread.

It makes me laugh when people say that Mediterranean diet makes people live longer, when in actuality enjoying life and everything it brings, including food, is what makes you live longer, not a perfect BMI.
That's what Mediterranean diet is. :roflmao:

IN MODERATION
Please post your your average caloric intake and macro nutrients and then I will decide whether to agree or disagree with you

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I keep listening to people in their 20s and 30s who are into "wellness", raving about their nutrition genre and how great it works for them.

In reality, any diet in moderation and any type of exercise at that age works.

It's only when you get to your 50s/60s that you start figuring out that you've been doing it wrong all along.

Placebo is a hella drug.

I have some wellness friends who went from 20 years of vegetarianism to eating liver every day becuz did you see how ripped Liver King is? rofl

Internet is cancer.

Reactions: mundus and npsp

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
How Much Recess Should Kids Get? | K-12 Schools | U.S. News (usnews.com)

This is multivariate IMHO. Shitty food was always there. Healthy choices are much more available outside of the home these days. And yet kids now have a three times higher risk of obesity than kids in the 70's. The activity levels of the kids on my street now is nil. The previous generation of kids was out there on bikes, skateboards, playing games etc etc. The kids now, I don't even see them outside. Fat as fvck, constantly on their phones or inside playing video games.

It's just going to get worse from here. IMHO, it's child abuse. You might as well buy them a carton of cigarettes every week.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
How Much Recess Should Kids Get? | K-12 Schools | U.S. News (usnews.com)

This is multivariate IMHO. Shitty food was always there. Healthy choices are much more available outside of the home these days. And yet kids now have a three times higher risk of obesity than kids in the 70's. The activity levels of the kids on my street now is nil. The previous generation of kids was out there on bikes, skateboards, playing games etc etc. The kids now, I don't even see them outside. Fat as fvvk, constantly on their phones or inside playing video games.

It's just going to get worse from here. IMHO, it's child abuse. You might as well buy them a carton of cigarettes every week.
Eating healthy takes effort.

Fast food is easy, cheap and delicious.

Free market.

I was on a job in Ohio boonies a few weeks ago and healthy food choices where literally non-existent.
Fried pickles is closest I could get to a vegetable.
This is not an exaggeration.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

Free market.
It's easier than ever to make healthy choices with takeout food. Much better than it has ever been. In the 70's there was no such thing as healthy choices re fast food.

And I dispute the whole "cheap" thing with fast food. I hear that one all the time, but I call BS. Fast food is expensive. You can go a whole lot further per dollar with a bag of rice, a bag of beans, fresh veggies and various meats.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It's easier than ever to make healthy choices with takeout food. Much better than it has ever been. In the 70's there was no such thing as healthy choices re fast food.
Yes it is, where we live. (see my edit above)

There's a reason why obesity is more prevalent in the midwest.

Reactions: npsp

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
There's ample evidence that "just stop eating" or "Just reduce calories" doesn't work. Psychological interventions are a necessary component because most people got fat by adopting an unhealthy relationship with food for several years.

No one is obese due to genetics. Not everyone is going to look lean and chiseled but that is a terrible measure of health to begin with.

Lizzo on the other hand is not healthy. The healthy at any size argument may be one of the most harmful policies this country ever entertained.

Making genetic and micro biome arguments isn't helping anyone. Therapy is a necessary component. There are also some great therapeutics that help as well. At the end of the day it takes buy in from the person.

God, I can't wait for American Therapy Fat speak to migrate here.

• Haha

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

Free market.

I was on a job in Ohio boonies a few weeks ago and healthy food choices where literally non-existent.
Fried pickles is closest I could get to a vegetable.
This is not an exaggeration.
I work a lot in the mid-west and the south central states. And when you are in the boonies it's almost impossible to eat healthy. People in these regions embrace their bellies with pride. The lack of good food shows as some of the guys I work with are 20 years younger than me but if it weren't for my gray hair, I look younger than them. It's sad when doing a job walk and a 30 YO is huffing and puffing up a few flights of stairs and/or is too heavy to safely climb a ladder.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You're kidding.

no, very serious.

Also....I love how we subsidize all the unhealthy sh!t that's in our food and then sit around wondering why we're so fat.