What is your stance, which is your dominant hand and are you front or back footed?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What's interesting is I've been told many surfers will surf better with a backfooted board but the majority of boards sold are based on what the pros ride (marketing).

At least here in CA that means a lot of shapers only making or knowing how to make front footed boards so a lot of guys have never had a backfooted board.

Give some guys a backfooted board and suddenly things click and it's the best board they've ever surfed after years of surfing.

I dunno how accurate this is. Just what I was told x2.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
What's interesting is I've been told many surfers will surf better with a backfooted board but the majority of boards sold are based on what the pros ride (marketing).

At least here in CA that means a lot of shapers only making or knowing how to make front footed boards so a lot of guys have never had a backfooted board.

Give some guys a backfooted board and suddenly things click and it's the best board they've ever surfed after years of surfing.

I dunno how accurate this is. Just what I was told x2.
The pros ride front footed boards?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Right handed/footed
Regular
Drive off front foot, turn off back
Left eye dominant.
That's interesting. I hadn't really considered eye dominance. I'm also left eye dominant or at least I think I am since that's the eye I use when shooting a bow or gun.

I was thinking that a person who surfs with their dominant arm forward would tend to be heavier on the front foot and a person who surfs with their dominant arm back would be more back footed. Apparently that's not always the case in fact it seems pretty evenly split.

Back to the drawing board!

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Right handed but can do work related stuff with both

Goofy as can be

Can say I surf best with more back foot approach but I am allover the place in the real world .

My Favorite boards let me stand in multiple places , different weighted approach, and just go.

Reactions: Aruka

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
goofy;
right handed, but jump off my left leg, skate goofy and push w/ left leg (not mongo);
pump off front foot;
turn off rear foot (left);
left eye lopez;
left eared!

Reactions: retodd and Aruka

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
right handed, regularfoot.

incredibly front footed. I stand with all my weight on my front foot and especially frontside I do hook under the lip to downcarve turns rather than "hit the lip"/unweighting my board in the lip. Backside I'm a lot more neutral, can do a couple wqs style backside snaps in a row. But I end up surfing hipster style on hipster sh!t just because it's what's natural to me.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The pros ride front footed boards?
It seems a good majority do, at least looking at boardmakers in CA.

For example, do a search for backfooted orientation boards on CI's site and see what you come up with.

(I also noticed they've moved their front footed boards into the category of "neutral")

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
That's interesting. I hadn't really considered eye dominance. I'm also left eye dominant or at least I think I am since that's the eye I use when shooting a bow or gun.
right eye dominant left hander.

pistols lefty, rifles righty. weirds out my gun buddies.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Right handed, except to the extent I can use a hockey stick, I play(ed) that left.
Goofy foot
Front-footed, maybe due to immense amount of time in small choppy surf? I like the rocker to match the wave face; I don't have one type I stick with at all.
I kick best with my right foot, jump best off my left.
All throwing/shooting is done righty, except within a couple feet of the rim when I bang the o-boards I can kind of try to put it back lefty.
I pushed extra mongo with a side of mongo, except snowboarding they bolted my damn foot to the thing.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Regular on all boards
Right handed and footed
Pretty neutral frontside but a little more back foot dominant backside
Baseball and golf right, hockey left, which a childhood friend’s Canadian dad said was correct because the dominant hand is supposed to be at the butt end of the stick. Always felt like I could put better left handed but never tried a left handed putter