What is your stance, which is your dominant hand and are you front or back footed?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah I also see they seem to have re-labeled all of their shortboards as "neutral"

I am aware the low entry high exit volume slightly forward models are popular at the moment, and are marketed as being better for the average surfer. Lots of CI pros on the Happy and of course JJF on the Shadow, Italo IF-15, etc. Maybe the pros like them because they make landing crazy airs easier? I thought the CI Fever and Lost Driver were supposed to be more back-footed and those are also very popular with expert-pro level surfers.

I still don't really understand the front-footed vs back-footed distinction. I can buy that some pros today like volume forward boards, but I have a hard time believing that is because they are "front-footed". FF surfing just sounds wrong to me.

There's a great new slow-mo video from JJF we can look at, is this front-footed surfing? I'd genuinely like to know
I think the majority of good surfers only identify as front footed in relation to generating speed. No one that can surf well is top turning, hitting the lip or going into a roundhouse with weight on their front foot.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think the majority of good surfers only identify as front footed in relation to generating speed. No one that can surf well is top turning, hitting the lip or going into a roundhouse with weight on their front foot.
Agree.

But the easiest tell is the turns - are they weighted more rearward or neutral?

Very backfooted:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
guys I wanted to surf like as a grom, MP, TF and BK
we rode these same style boards back then and I still approach my surfing like BK
backfoot double pump came from the thruster/curren and "hotdogging" dewey

Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
guys I wanted to surf like as a grom, MP, TF and BK
we rode these same style boards back then and I still approach my surfing like BK
backfoot double pump came from the thruster/curren and "hotdogging" dewey

Yes!:jamon::bowdown:

That's what comes to my mind when I think of what is now called "mid length" surfing. At the spot I grew up surfing, which is now considered a "longboard spot," everyone rode "mid lengths." And nobody was hipster.

Reactions: SrPato