What is your stance, which is your dominant hand and are you front or back footed?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Regular foot, right handed, even footed for speed generating and general carving around.
skateboard regular, but switch/fakie is fairly easy on a skateboard and something I would not attempt on a surfboard.

Reactions: Aruka

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
surf, skate, snowboard goofy. left handed w/ some ambidexterous tendancies due to growing up in a house w/ all right handers. right foot dominant (kick right, lead w/ right leg/jump off left leg). probably neutral or slightly front-footed.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Regular foot, right handed, front footed with wide stance (no stink bug) just long legged for height

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That's interesting. I hadn't really considered eye dominance. I'm also left eye dominant or at least I think I am since that's the eye I use when shooting a bow or gun.

I was thinking that a person who surfs with their dominant arm forward would tend to be heavier on the front foot and a person who surfs with their dominant arm back would be more back footed. Apparently that's not always the case in fact it seems pretty evenly split.

Back to the drawing board!
Eye dominance is way more important than people think. It’s not that one is specifically better than the other, it’s knowing which eye is dominant and how to “adjust” for it.

Reactions: Aruka and ehiunno

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Right handed and side dominate for everything I’ve tried, goofy as fook. Not at all ambidextrous.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Regular foot
Right handed
Back footed "like to pretend I learned some thing growing up with hereo's like Dane Kealoha".

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
How about mongo pushing skaters?:drowning:
Or chicken legged non kettle bell squaters who grab rail to make a turn?:monkey:

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
goofy
left eyed
write with my left hand but do everything else with my right.
no idea which foot is the shred pedal. Feels like I go between both for different boards.

you want my mothers maiden name and my atm code too?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i reckon if u r standing on a roof, your strongest leg will be in front
surfing is a bit like sliding down a roof, so being a right handed/footed goofyfoot makes more sense than regular

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
It seems a good majority do, at least looking at boardmakers in CA.

For example, do a search for backfooted orientation boards on CI's site and see what you come up with.

(I also noticed they've moved their front footed boards into the category of "neutral")
Yeah I also see they seem to have re-labeled all of their shortboards as "neutral"

I am aware the low entry high exit volume slightly forward models are popular at the moment, and are marketed as being better for the average surfer. Lots of CI pros on the Happy and of course JJF on the Shadow, Italo IF-15, etc. Maybe the pros like them because they make landing crazy airs easier? I thought the CI Fever and Lost Driver were supposed to be more back-footed and those are also very popular with expert-pro level surfers.

I still don't really understand the front-footed vs back-footed distinction. I can buy that some pros today like volume forward boards, but I have a hard time believing that is because they are "front-footed". FF surfing just sounds wrong to me.

There's a great new slow-mo video from JJF we can look at, is this front-footed surfing? I'd genuinely like to know

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
regular foot back foot surfer
regular for skating , rarely ride switch except when curb dancing aka old man low impact skating
Snowboard reg but no issues switch
right handed , penmanship is illegible with either hand

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah I also see they seem to have re-labeled all of their shortboards as "neutral"

I am aware the low entry high exit volume slightly forward models are popular at the moment, and are marketed as being better for the average surfer. Lots of CI pros on the Happy and of course JJF on the Shadow, Italo IF-15, etc. Maybe the pros like them because they make landing crazy airs easier? I thought the CI Fever and Lost Driver were supposed to be more back-footed and those are also very popular with expert-pro level surfers.

I still don't really understand the front-footed vs back-footed distinction. I can buy that some pros today like volume forward boards, but I have a hard time believing that is because they are "front-footed". FF surfing just sounds wrong to me.

There's a great new slow-mo video from JJF we can look at, is this front-footed surfing? I'd genuinely like to know
I think front footed is nice way to say in this ultra over sensitive times that someone has chicken legs (rail grab turns), front zipper vest, drinks pabst, changing poncho, and is or surfs like alex knost:shaka: