What is school re-opening going to look like in your state?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I have my kids doing in person karate, in person theater and in person music lessons this summer. Also an in person tutor for math

funny how all of these private institutions can figure out how to do the in person thing but public schools cant
The public schools can't think or act out of what they know/do. There are a lot of ways to make it happen but you have to go way out of the box(industrial education model).To give them credit they have been receiving so many mixed messages, how can they plan to throw their old model away.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The public schools can't think or act out of what they know/do. There are a lot of ways to make it happen but you have to go way out of the box(industrial education model).To give them credit they have been receiving so many mixed messages, how can they plan to throw their old model away.
I'm not saying it's a fair situation but it's amazing to me that a school district the size of LA which has so many needy kids who depend on school and have no realistic prospect of getting what they need online would just say "too bad."

maybe I'm oversimplifying but that's what it looks like at face value

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I'm not saying it's a fair situation but it's amazing to me that a school district the size of LA which has so many needy kids who depend on school and have no realistic prospect of getting what they need online would just say "too bad."

teacher union may have said fook off - we're not going back

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They already cut the school police budget $25 million.

Congress and Trump have it easy. Treasury works for Trump and Trump signs what McConnell tells him to sign. As our esteemed colleague obslop has noted, money printer goes brrrrr.

States, Cities, and Counties are turbof-----d in some instances.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

schools have lost their purpose for some time now. It is just more apparent now. Special ed kids who rely on the district are done academically.
My one autistic kid who hasn't stopped working with me is doing great. So much better than what the school was doing with him.
Districts won't get sued, 'special circumstances' is the out.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

That's what it is. The teacher's unions are politically powerful. It doesn't matter what the rest of us want.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Our Ventura County district’s choices are:
1- goto school 830-11 or 12:30-3
No lunch no recess no masks required, m-f.
2-online learning same time periods at home.
3- commit a year to one of a few homeschool programs.
If it were to happen, we may lean to in school 830-11 m-f choice.
apoke to a local teacher yesterday and they had strong doubts school
would even go back this year so most likely it is online only distance learning this year.
What gets us is that they aren’t requiring masks. WTF??? That is our only reservation with sending them back. I’ve been sicker these last 9 years than my life combined with the kids bring home colds. Head scratcher!!
I may become the worst teacher there is after all....

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don’t know how working parents can even attempt to be a homeschool teacher and a full time work from home employee
More power to all of you who are attempting it

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Our Ventura County district’s choices are:
1- goto school 830-11 or 12:30-3
No lunch no recess no masks required, m-f.
2-online learning same time periods at home.
3- commit a year to one of a few homeschool programs.
If it were to happen, we may lean to in school 830-11 m-f choice.
apoke to a local teacher yesterday and they had strong doubts school
would even go back this year so most likely it is online only distance learning this year.
What gets us is that they aren’t requiring masks. WTF??? That is our only reservation with sending them back. I’ve been sicker these last 9 years than my life combined with the kids bring home colds. Head scratcher!!
I may become the worst teacher there is after all....
How do you feel about this?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Spun out!
I’ve been proactive throughout this whole COVID thing. So I’m trying to plan ahead. But distance learning at home sucked ballz so I imagine a full year of it would leave me grey, divorced, and possibly living in the bushes on the beach somewhere. Not sure what’s worse? :ROFLMAO:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What's his name?

He's had so many funny side-character lines over the years

"you sunk my battleship"
Jasper.

And btw, I have to say one side benefit of kids not being in school is that I haven't been sick since February. I'd be on my 6th or 7th cold of the year by now.

Reactions: JBerry