What is school re-opening going to look like in your state?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Word around my hood is that some parents are pushing to delay even the remote learning school opening.
They are saying that they are not ready for school to be open. It's so stressful a thing to deal with, trying to work from home, if you have a job, and keep your kids focused for school at the same time.

Reactions: PRCD

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Oh and to top it off, we got to choose between a morning or an afternoon learning schedule in regards to live in-teacher zoom learning daily. However, a majority of parents also chose that option, and now they are holding a lottery because the class sizes are not balanced. So, if we are not lucky, we may just end up with an afternoon learning schedule, which would totally bite, because my kids are better learners in the morning hours (most kids are) and the morning schedule would help my wife and I balance care and work. We'll find out this wednesday about the lottery......

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
in the last week I’ve talked to a lot of nervous parents. I know a whole bunch of people in my town who are opting to keep their kids home.
Good

Don't let them stop the people who aren't terrified from sending their kids to school

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I'm more worried about mine having a Hal for a teacher than them getting the virus at school.
odds aren't too good, there's a hal in every school, and this year, the rate of hals to asymptomatic kids with covid is probably going to be off the charts....that is, you won't know which kid has covid, until you or your grandparents get it, wondering how you got it?? oh,,,,,the kids at school brought it home........
It is only this one year. Keep your kid homeschooled, suited up, and have him learn the finer points in professional surfing, between books.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
odds aren't too good, there's a hal in every school, and this year, the rate of hals to asymptomatic kids with covid is probably going to be off the charts....that is, you won't know which kid has covid, until you or your grandparents get it, wondering how you got it?? oh,,,,,the kids at school brought it home........
It is only this one year. Keep your kid homeschooled, suited up, and have him learn the finer points in professional surfing, between books.
I'm thinking of doing some at-home trade school to teach myself and my kids framing, animal husbandry (rabbits), some gardening, etc. I don't think higher ed is going to weather this or the new Woke requirements so maybe they'll take the Mike Rowe route. There's also a dearth of children.

But, yeah, just bought my 8 year-old a Froth 5'0 and my 10 year-old is saving to buy his own. Doesn't look like normalcy is going to return anytime soon. Hope this doesn't turn into some sort of famine.

Reactions: JBerry

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Compared to the terribly short and infrequent Zoom meetings of last year, the amount of classwork that my 4th grader is getting is much better this year. However, there are bandwidth and tech issues out the wazoo that are distracting from the actual learning. But this is day 2 of hopefully only 2 weeks

The 1st Grader is basically being left on her own again though. She's already finished her classwork for the week and the plan for the virtual meetings they did yesterday went to sh!t because of how long first graders take to do everything.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm thinking of doing some at-home trade school to teach myself and my kids framing, animal husbandry (rabbits), some gardening, etc. I don't think higher ed is going to weather this or the new Woke requirements so maybe they'll take the Mike Rowe route. There's also a dearth of children.

But, yeah, just bought my 8 year-old a Froth 5'0 and my 10 year-old is saving to buy his own. Doesn't look like normalcy is going to return anytime soon. Hope this doesn't turn into some sort of famine.
Are they reading?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Are they reading?
Yes. My fourth grader reads at an 8th grade level and reads a lot. He's just like me. My second grader reads also.

You can't go to the library and browse books now though - they all have to be selected online and picked up at the curb. They liked to go in and pick out books, as I did. We're using the Hoopla app instead but then you have to give them a tablet.

At the rate we're going, maybe the future will be like the past - the Bible was the only book in the house. Plus old books are racist and sexist so we can't have kids exposed to their ideas. .

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
if it does turn into a famine you can't say you weren't warned.
the time to hoard is when others have yet to figure it out.