What is school re-opening going to look like in your state?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My kids got to do four months solid of that frontier living up here with their kids and I wish more kids, people in general, had the opportunity to do that. There’s no app for that.
Yes.

One of the things I notice in humans during this pandemic is the reluctance to adapt to this change in the environment.

I really felt the reluctance in myself because it meant spending the entire summer teaching myself how to teach online and then how to design programing.

I did not want to do this because I realized how many man hours it would take. (many)

But now it's almost done and it might work, it feels pretty good.

But I had to shift from being mad at unexpetedly having to commit all these resources to just getting to work to solve the problem.

In conclusion, humans are an extremely adaptable species. But we are also wired not to want to adapt.

However, you optimize this extreme capacity for adaptability by making the choice to try to make it work.

A lot of people are still in the "this isn't fair state!"

Which is bad when you need to adapt.

Thanks you

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Mapache said it was gnarly

A bunch of young cyclists died from it in your hood?
He’d know. I think he’s ventured as far south as afoaf’s hood in over a year. He has threatened to come down late summer.

Fvckin cyclists.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Interesting

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Interesting

The disaster to the children's future is much more dire than a virus that's already out and about

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Damned if you don't or do.

Sometimes you just can't win.
I get it and sort-of agree. Any "advanced" country that has tried to do things differently has gotten hammered by the press.

But this is causing all of us with families to re-evaluate where we fit in "advanced" nation-states. Everything seems to be run for the elderly and large corporations. Neither care about families with kids.

• Love

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I get it and sort-of agree. Any "advanced" country that has tried to do things differently has gotten hammered by the press.

But this is causing all of us with families to re-evaluate where we fit in "advanced" nation-states. Everything seems to be run for the elderly and large corporations. Neither care about families with kids.
And of course, any anti-shutdown protests worldwide are being painted as infiltrated by "conspiracy theorists and neo-nazis"

Reactions: PRCD

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017

It's a plutocratic oligarchy. Sorry. All the "constitution and government" stuff is an illusion.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Long term, single income families with one parent responsible for children will make a comeback
for the past few decades most families have needed 2 incomes to afford housng
many say the increase in housing costs were driven by the increased amounts that families could afford due to having 2 incomes
going forward, single income families will drive down housing costs, but allow someone to take care of the kids, and assist in their learning

also, keeping elderly family members in the home to help with the kids will come back
gramdma’s social security check can help pay the bills that single incomes need to cover

im not saying women will go back to being housewives. Men will have as much an opportunity or obligation as women
its one of a few positive changes covid 19 will bring us

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Now you know how we poor people feel.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
nice dodge. You obviously know that’s not what o was asking.
There are many more millions of children suffering educationally and emotionally due to shutdown than people dying of COVID

This is really simple

You're a teacher, you know this will affect their futures.

What's more important? The potential of youth or keeping a tiny percentage of the elderly around for a couple more years?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Is anyone else amused at the cognitive dissonance around the “SCHOOLS ARE FAILING OUR KIDS!!” but also “GET KIDS BACK INTO SCHOOL” competing narratives?

There are many more millions of children suffering educationally and emotionally due to shutdown than people dying of COVID

This is really simple

You're a teacher, you know this will affect their futures.

What's more important? The potential of youth or keeping a tiny percentage of the elderly around for a couple more years?
wait....suddenly you’re a “we should have empathy“ person?

how do you know this is causing lasting emotional damage?

what would cause more damage, missing school for a while and homeschooling, or losing a family member?

I don’t know how it will affect them long-term any more than I know how going back to school and being super stressed about catching the virus will affect them.

And now that we’re on the subject of damaging kids emotionally and educationally, how do you feel about separating kids from their families and sending them to camps to be put in cages?

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Hal, you’re suffering from the same auto complete issues I’m suffering from. I’ve been wondering if it was just me
either that, or, man, you’re typing skills suuuuuuuuuck