What is needed for a breakfast to be good?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think huevos rancheros might be the perfecto breakfast if you threw a couple pieces of bacon on top or put some good chorizo in the beans

kudos to the main who said bong rips!

Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
A view and stale trailmix sprinkled with sugary hydration powder all washed down with sachet of instant coffee that is flavored with iodine water purification pills and the ever present scent of 4 days old unwashed bodies in the same set of clothes that have just been rinsed out and partially dried on rock.

1673373612094.png

PS
In lieu of stale trailmix, allowable substitute is over-ripe and badly bruised banana smeared on misshapen Powerbar/Cliffbar/etc.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
A view and stale trailmix sprinkled with sugary hydration powder all washed down with sachet of instant coffee that is flavored with iodine water purification pills and the ever present scent of 4 days old unwashed bodies in the same set of clothes that have just been rinsed out and partially dried on rock.

View attachment 145586

PS
In lieu of stale trailmix, allowable substitute is over-ripe and badly bruised banana smeared on misshapen Powerbar/Cliffbar/etc.
1. depending on where you are, that's an illegal site....either by law or based on LNT principles
2. camping near water is likely to leave you 10+ degrees colder AND subject to condensation
3. ankle support is not a thing; get some trail runners. a pound off your feet is the same as 5 off your back

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Lone Peaks good for my local hikes, but too thin for backpacking, for me...I like the Altra Olympus for backpacking. Back to breakfast...I want to get my protein first thing, but don't like eating too much in the morning. Whey protein powder? Collagen powder? Fairfield Protein drink? Carnation instant breakfast?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
At home i almost always do oatmeal with some variation of banana, blueberries, pb fit and/or protein powder, chia, sunflower, pumpkin seeds. Always a little cinnamon and salt. Creatine powder.

I did the overnight oats thing for a while with yogurt and peanut butter and whatnot. Its good but i like a warm breakfast for cold mornings.

I love eggs but usually can't stomach them for an early breakfast. Lunch or an off day late breakfast, hell yes. Hashbrowns and four eggs with salsa is a go to.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I like hot oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar. Some coffee with milk. Maybe an egg. Msybe throw the eggs on some toast

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1. depending on where you are, that's an illegal site....either by law or based on LNT principles
2. camping near water is likely to leave you 10+ degrees colder AND subject to condensation
3. ankle support is not a thing; get some trail runners. a pound off your feet is the same as 5 off your back
1 I have many failings and (try to) do better most of the time and not USA so your rules don't apply ;)
2 Napping after a lunch and a wash/rinse, not overnight.
3 Wanted crampon support and have old gear that is still usable, weight be damned!:p

Whey protein powder? Collagen powder? Fairfield Protein drink? Carnation instant breakfast?
1 Your body digests proteins (and collagen) down to amino acids.
2 Your body makes collagen from amino acids.
3 Some amount of carbs in the wilderness isn't a bad thing (gym rats have different wants/needs), so volume to quality protein more important consideration.

By the way, had homemade oat scone smeared with peanut buter for brekkie with cup of French Roast that was delivered by Amazon last week (because the local roast will charge me more if I pick it up myself, sigh).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and tsenn

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
do people even wear real hiking boots anymore whilst backpacking? or is it all about the hiking sneakers now?

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
do people even wear real hiking boots anymore whilst backpacking? or is it all about the hiking sneakers now?
I do, especially on rocky non-trails or in cold snowy conditions and when using a pack. Trails are great for well made hiking
sneaker, though for longevity, a decent semi-custom hiking "boot" can be a good thing. I've found low rise hiking sneakers to suck when going up volcano slopes.....I wanna go to Belknap Crater not on a trail 3 Finger Jack:

1673458903467.png

PS
Actually, there is a trail to the top of Belknap Crater and I had missed the fork in the trail :foreheadslap:

Reactions: bvendley

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Basically. Trail runners are a great all around shoe. Also my "wear on the plane" shoe for travel because they work for everything :beer:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
as he did for so many other things, Hunter Thompson nailed breakfast perfectly:
"I like to eat breakfast alone, and almost never before noon; anybody with a terminally jangled lifestyle needs at least one psychic anchor every twenty four hours, and mine is breakfast. In Hong Kong, Dallas, or at home—and regardless of whether or not I have been to bed—breakfast is a personal ritual that can only be properly observed alone, and in a spirit of genuine excess.

The food factor should always be massive: Four bloody Marys, two grapefruits, a pot of coffee, Rangoon crêpes, a half-pound of either sausage, bacon, or corned beef-hash with diced chilies, a Spanish omelette or eggs Benedict, a quart of milk, a chopped lemon for random seasoning, and something like a slice of Key lime pie, two margaritas, and six lines of the best cocaine for dessert… Right, and there should also be two or three newspapers, all mail and messages, a telephone, a notebook for planning the next twenty four hours, and at least one source of good music… All of which should be dealt with outside, in the warmth of the hot sun, and preferably stone naked."

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I like how he counters the bloody Marys with margaritas. Mornings allow for stretching out ones cocaine supply as well. I always found two lines was enough in the morning and since it's already afternoon the extra four will come into play soon enough so enjoy the calm.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So case in point. Thursdays our company caters breakfast. I try to avoid coming in on Thursday. Today I came to office. Ate a bacon egg and cheese wrap. A cheese croissant. And half an apple turnover. I feel disgusting and have no energy

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink