What is canoe surfing?

Mar 7, 2020
Surfing in a canoe. In Waikiki Hawaii we used outriggers for stability and the waves were smaller than the North Shore, so more manageable for stability.
Mostly it was a touristy thing the hotels did to attract more people to the shores where shops were set up to sell souvenirs to tourists.
Waikiki offered a lot to keep the tourist trade thriving as that along with the military, construction and some farms were the main means of income for the islands.
Source: http://canoesurfer.net/best-fishing-canoe
AND
What is canoe surfing?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Surfing in a canoe. In Waikiki Hawaii we used outriggers for stability and the waves were smaller than the North Shore, so more manageable for stability.
Mostly it was a touristy thing the hotels did to attract more people to the shores where shops were set up to sell souvenirs to tourists.
Waikiki offered a lot to keep the tourist trade thriving as that along with the military, construction and some farms were the main means of income for the islands.
Source: http://canoesurfer.net/best-fishing-canoe
What is canoe surfing?
SHOW

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a friend launch me over ledge like that. I was in the front of his kayak. We pearled and the paddle torn open my head and I had to get stitches.

I had just snorted some Ritalin and I was grading essays and my neiigbour was like come on lets go!

I was like, I don't want to go!

He was like, nag nag nag like a little kid.

So I gave in.

I was at the Drs all speeding and bleeding.

• Haha
Reactions: kneehigh

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I had a friend launch me over ledge like that. I was in the front of his kayak. We pearled and the paddle torn open my head and I had to get stitches.

I had just snorted some Ritalin and I was grading essays and my neiigbour was like come on lets go!

I was like, I don't want to go!

He was like, nag nag nag like a little kid.

So I gave in.

I was at the Drs all speeding and bleeding.
sounds awful:oops:

Reactions: Autoprax

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Wasn't that out at Himalaya's or Avalanch?
Yes ~ (RIP) Tommy Holmes.
Tommy spoke better pidgin than the locals. Quite the character and close friend from hana-buttah days. Went too early but he left a wonderful coffee table book, on Hawaiian canoes. And, the fricken guy ran the Honolulu Marathon barefooted as did my brother "hawaiian" / David Kalama from Haleiwa. Crazy bastids, making the turn going down Kalanianaole Hwy from the old gas station towards Hawaii Kai on the asphalt & cement.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
yah there's a wild story about that photo
aka and tommy "borrowed" that canoe from outrigger waikiki without permission and broke it after that shot and got hellings for that. The one in the back bailed and the one in the front didn't know and took it on the head. Two crazy bruddas both incredible watermen. Tommy was the heart of the original Hokulea while Papa Mau was the soul It was the sailors versus the surfers when they hit the doldrums and Mau got so pissed he got off at tahiti and didn't want anything more to do with the crew which almost mutiny'd on David, Tommy, Nainoa and Mau. It was all captured in the National Geographic special.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
That last YouTube sequence was the start of the Molokai Hoe race to Oahu. At the start of the race the surf came up and the clubs tried to head off to one side but some of the canoes got all bunched up in a pack and got caught in the huge surf. Crazy poop but hard ass canoe crews regrouped and went for Oahu.

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
video of the incident

n 1980, Hemmings and Holmes joined fellow paddler Dale Hope for one of Hawaii’s most notorious paddling feats, riding a 22-foot Hawaiian surfing canoe down a 25-foot wave at the appropriately named Avalanche surf spot on the North Shore. While the ensuing wipeout left Hemmings and Holmes shaken and Hope nursing a broken arm, photos and video of the historic attempt still circulate among the surfing and paddling communities.
Holmes dies at 48
Hemmings died at 59
Dale Hope created HRH/Hawaiian Style/Kahala/Pataloha/Western Aloha