What if Covid had happened in 2000 instead of 2020?

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Serious question, what if Covid had happened in 2000 instead of 2020? Specifically pre-social media, Pre-Zoom.

How would things have been different? Better or worse?
Who the hell would want to answer such an absolutist, binary question like that?

There is a lot of nuance and a million shades of gray within your black-and-white question. It eliminates answers like both, or neither, or maybe a little of each, or a little of this and a little more of that is true, or maybe in some places this one is more true but in other places that one is more true.

I know nuanced thoughtfulness is not currently in vogue in pubic discourse, maybe it should be.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
There would be many many millions more dead people. There was no capability to rapidly develop vaccines in 2000 like there was in 2020, but the virus' capability to spread and kill was just as great. Economically we did not have the capability to be productive from home like we do now and the recession would have been much, much worse. As in Great Depression worse.

The structure of society would have been strained mightily and I'm not sure it would have held.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There would be many many millions more dead people. There was no capability to rapidly develop vaccines in 2000 like there was in 2020, but the virus' capability to spread and kill was just as great. Economically we did not have the capability to be productive from home like we do now and the recession would have been much, much worse. As in Great Depression worse.

The structure of society would have been strained mightily and I'm not sure it would have held.
With a 0.2% IFR - uh...no.