What happened to Rusty?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I know they're still around, but I hardly ever see new rusty boards anymore. They used to be third in sales, behind CI and Lost. Now I see very few. Something change?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Rarely see them outside San Diego.

Some Ozzies told me they are popular in Australia and it looks like the team is mostly Brazil and OZ.

Looks like they picked up Caio.

Xanadu ---> DHD ----> Rusty. How odd.

Of note - there's an erBB wall of positive noise around Rusty. Feathers can get ruffled.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Don't see 'em much - at least i don't - on this right coast.
the kids seem to like Mayhems...

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Once Firewire and then Slater designs came around, that followed by the Alt shape wave, there was less shelf space for mainstream OG builders.

CI always had its place and Mayhem really built an empire stateside. With the third spot seemingly rotating.
Plus there seems to be a lot more "smaller" big shapers now.

Superbrand was really big for a few years

Hayden too.
Both used a combo of doemstic and foreign shapes.
JS came back big last few years w same strategy.

Im rambling here but it does look like Rusty is on an upswing slightly, I was suprised by Sharpeye's sudden boom but honestly they have been a HPSB staple forever.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Once Firewire and then Slater designs came around, that followed by the Alt shape wave, there was less shelf space for mainstream OG builders.

CI always had its place and Mayhem really built an empire stateside. With the third spot seemingly rotating.
Plus there seems to be a lot more "smaller" big shapers now.

Superbrand was really big for a few years

Hayden too.
Both used a combo of doemstic and foreign shapes.
JS came back big last few years w same strategy.

Im rambling here but it does look like Rusty is on an upswing slightly, I was suprised by Sharpeye's sudden boom but honestly they have been a HPSB staple forever.

I think that's a good assessment.

Reactions: potato-nator

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
People embraced then turned on pop outs quickly, so you had to have a way to serve both markets. Adult learner and seasoned bro brah.

This way you could get boards in stores without them sitting on a bunch of outdated inventory.

Combine that with the switch from print media to digital media and then social media. That's where mayhem really shined.
But with the retro modern movement combined with the appeal of boutique (? lol) shapers, there is a lot more room now for everyone to have their niche.

I think Rusty has done a good job of improving marketing in the past 5 years and also will benefit from his Twin knowledge if he can get a foothold in the market.

CI's run has to be one of the most dominant ive ever seen. So many guys here get boards from local shapers, and smaller shapers, but still have a new CI 2x a year at least.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've ridden a few over the years and checked them out periodically in the shops (used to live near the Rusty shop in Del Mar) and honestly they always felt a little meh. Rails seemed a little clunky and the overall outlines never really did it for me. They always felt a bit less refined than other big name shapers.

I'm sure they make great boards and some people click with them but for me, never really got it. Although I bet the reason you don't see them so much probably has to do way more with marketing strategy than the actual boards themselves.

Reactions: mundus

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've ridden a few over the years and checked them out periodically in the shops (used to live near the Rusty shop in Del Mar) and honestly they always felt a little meh. Rails seemed a little clunky and the overall outlines never really did it for me. They always felt a bit less refined than other big name shapers.

I'm sure they make great boards and some people click with them but for me, never really got it.
I've always tried to put that into words but couldn't.

Had a Dwart about 15 years ago - so fun.

Later I went to the warehouse a few times and never came out with anything - same clunky sort of feeling.

I'm pretty open to anything so eventually I figured might as well try that flavor and ordered a couple. One was decent, the other prob the worst board I've ever had.

The quality of the glassjobs were terrible - very brittle - I'm guessing overcatalyzed resin.

Either way, they gave time and attention, which I appreciate greatly, the boards were done on time and to spec.

If those fullish kind of boards are the kind of boards you like, or you're a 6ft plus guy, I'd pay them a visit.

Still would like to try a Blackbird.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
always made solid boards
hammonds looked and worked the best in the 90s imo

rusty has got to be over 65 now, so probably mostly retired, and has plenty of $

no need to overwork himself to try and be the top brand

Reactions: npsp

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had a magic board, a Barking Spider, I bought used from Rusty's marketing manager at the time. I broke it pretty quickly which had/has unfortunately happened to a few other "magic" boards. I brought the pieces down to R. and met with Clint. He said that the board was one of the first iterations and the design and had had since been tweaked a little bit, but he'd make me one like what I brought in.

When I picked up the board the center fin plug was way out of alignment. Royce was a manger there at the time and he apologized and made it worth my while to make the round trip from Redondo a week later to get a redo. The remade board did not feel anywhere as refined as the one I broke and to mirror what others have stated, "clunky". They had trashed the broken one, so it was a moot point arguing about the differences. I rode the board for a week or two and it was the epitome of meh. I luckily got back what I paid with the discount Royce offered, but that's kept me from getting another custom Rusty.

• Sad
Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
More surprised it took so long. I remember getting boards from Marcio in the last 90s during college and they were magic. And he was always cool and helpful.
Yeah, Good for him. Never heard anything bad about him or SE. Seems to have been under the feet of local rippers since the early 90's. Surely just a matter of getting Filipe on them and let digital & social media do its thing.

edit: or maybe there's a $200m heiress backing him now! :p

Last edited: