What does your surfboard say about you? LOL

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It sounds like the above is probably handled, but keep in mind, I cut the noses off of a LOT of blanks. I have boxes of various of various nose/tail discards with various stringer configurations. Most of them just go out with the trash. Most of the ones I keep are more difficult to match stringers. But the pieces make repair of something like the above a whole lot easier/possible. That looks like it's about 1/4" Bass. But whatever. People drop by all the time to rummage through pieces for repair. No charge. Keep it in mind.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That is observant of you Kento, the Chilli does indeed have more foam removed from the deck nose section than my local custom. Its actually fairly pronounced by any standards. The apex of the nose rails were kept high despite the deck being lowered, so the board does not catch in turns. The weight of the foam removed must be tiny though. I prefer the volume distribution of my local custom and it catches waves a tad better, however that might be the rocker and maybe my individual preference. As a generalisation the Chilli is a high nose rocker/low tail rocker board, my local custom is the opposite. The Chilli is a better groveller whereas the local custom has a bit more performance and handles steeper/more powerful waves better.

I don't have all the answers with what makes boards work for me, my 2019 build went surprisingly badly despite seeming sensible on paper.

If you think a large part of why your latest custom doesn't work is the rails, then it is a good opportunity having your favourite boar in for repair at the factory to get a rail reference. That's not overdoing the customer input in my opinion, however you would know the situation best.
Like you alluded to with rocker, have a feeling that's one of the things not quite working on that board. Hell if I know. On the other hand, I dropped about 10 pounds since I rode that board last so probably give it a go on Saturday morning if it isn't completely fogged to hell.

Thanks, yeah, I might drop by that shop just to have them jot a couple notes. Shaper is very elusive but one of the guys working the shop will make it happen I'm sure.

Good deal with both boards that you have as it sounds like they ride similar but handle an overall range of conditions between the two. Probably not a huge amount of volume removed from deck nose but even a little extra mass makes a difference, I think.

Reactions: Mr J

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It sounds like the above is probably handled, but keep in mind, I cut the noses off of a LOT of blanks. I have boxes of various of various nose/tail discards with various stringer configurations. Most of them just go out with the trash. Most of the ones I keep are more difficult to match stringers. But the pieces make repair of something like the above a whole lot easier/possible. That looks like it's about 1/4" Bass. But whatever. People drop by all the time to rummage through pieces for repair. No charge. Keep it in mind.
Thanks. Good to know as I had no idea that there were so many nose scraps around. Makes perfect sense though. Well, hopefully, it isn't too drastic of a repair.

On the bright side, it's a little harder for my friend to back out of his offer to help me move after he chopped the nose of my board off. :roflmao:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It no doubt came out of my shop, but I have no idea. The way he has it set up, the board has a Nuggetish outline, the opposite way it looks like a Scorpion nose rider. Which makes some sense. I have cut Scorpions out of blanks backwards. All the rocker is in the tail. Interesting.

Reactions: 000

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
It no doubt came out of my shop, but I have no idea. The way he has it set up, the board has a Nuggetish outline, the opposite way it looks like a Scorpion nose rider. Which makes some sense. I have cut Scorpions out of blanks backwards. All the rocker is in the tail. Interesting.
Two meh boards for the price of one!

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
This is my local custom next to me for size reference. 5' 6" x 18 3/8" x 2 3/16". It replaces the one with the green rail above. The green covers up a band aid buckle repair. The repair is very skillful, but the board has lost some of its response due to the change in flex, so I got a replacement made. I am keeping the repaired one as a backup in case my new one is dry docked for repair.

The person who took the replacement order was not the shaper. The board is on file so no need for another design consultation. The order said "Please make with exactly the same file as last custom. Do not change anything, loved it as was!!!"

View attachment 116312
Damnit :( Last sunday. My fault. Big dumping closeout beachbreak. One other person out, a local school teacher who I know by the name of Steve-O. My local is a funny place, always has some waves much bigger than others and can either sit outside or get smaller ones inside. But not that day. He said to me "what do you do, take off on the biggest closeout?".

I decided to try half way out on the edge of the rip - this can work at certain tide conditions and I caught one great little one. Tried again then got sucked into a dumper. Had to bail my board, or risk injury.

I have had some good surfs since on my re-commissioned band aid repaired buckled board and the Chilli, so feeling happier about the situation. I've also ordered another one.

Damn.jpg