What does the pic say ?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Great turn. Wonder how she reacts to both fins out and tail sliding on recovery bc she looks like she is still in carving mode (weight pushing sideways, not centered over board).

Water wise: looks like it's moving diagonally across the board, hitting fins and coming off the hard rail edge. If no hard edge, it would wrap the rail more, feeling sticky. Middle fin is definitely blocking release of water, controlling the turn, at the expense of speed through the turn. But this is not speed carve.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Great turn. Wonder how she reacts to both fins out and tail sliding on recovery bc she looks like she is still in carving mode (weight pushing sideways, not centered over board).

Water wise: looks like it's moving diagonally across the board, hitting fins and coming off the hard rail edge. If no hard edge, it would wrap the rail more, feeling sticky. Middle fin is definitely blocking release of the water being displaced by the turn , possibly helping control the turn, at the slight expense of speed through the turn. But this is not speed carve.
I agree with both comments, but doubt the minute /subtle difference in rail edge
wraps enough to be noticed very much. IMHO 99% of it the surfers ability,balance, agility, body awareness

Reactions: redrider

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I agree with both comments, but doubt the minute /subtle difference in rail edge
wraps enough to be noticed very much. IMHO 99% of it the surfers ability,balance, agility, body awareness
The speed vs control was regarding the middle fin. I agree that rail edge contributes less than fins, but big fan of the hard edges anyway.

Reactions: need 4 speed

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
The thing I don't like about this is I am not sure if the water flow hasn't be disrupted by the force of blowing the fins out. I woder how much it changed once the energy released?

What I do like about the photo is pretty much everything.

Reactions: retodd

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
It says my mind is in the gutter and I'll never think about 'blow tails' the same way.

Reactions: redrider

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I see the way the water moves. The way it grips and releases on supple curved places. The way the moisture lubricates to slide the bottom from side to side. Climbing to the peak, and thrusting back down again. Over and over, every move subtle and graceful, ending with a shower of spray, alabaster white.
Dear Penthouse....

Reactions: urchined