What do you ride in overhead - DOH SD reef breaks?

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Curious as I'm currently looking for something new. Considering Ghost, MOTE Fiji, or CI Two Happy, but curious about recommendations from you guys who have this pretty dialed in. Thanks!

Reactions: j_mac

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have ridden a ghost and rusty blackbird the last two seasons, mostly at reefs under the flight path. I think the blackbird is more suited to the slopey reefs I surf most often, it handles the flat sections better. That said the ghost still works fine, but requires a bit more effort to connect across flat sections. I think a mote or similar would be a great fit if you’re on the alt board train.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Custom 6’4 Solid or a 6’6 Rusty Slayer. Slayer definitely likes the better waves. Also have a 7’4 Christenson that I’ll ride on the big high tides days if I’m surfing one of the mushy reef breaks.

Reactions: j_mac and cjs2002

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
R. BB is a solid erBB-approved stap. I'll ride 6'8 BB when/if it gets closer to DOH.
Agree with MD that Ghost is better in better quality waves, so depends where you surf. I feel like the reefs I surf rarely get "Ghost-worthy" when bigger.

I saw a MOTE Fiji out a couple times in solid surf back in the Fall and it looked fun- but that guy has excellent style and can surf anything. I admit I will be trying out a couple bigger, wide-point-fwd twins this winter by the brand that haters love to hate: 6'1 roundpin and 6'7 asym. The couple OH sessions I've had on them so far the past year were promising.

When I did a similar thread last winter, the others that were suggested that I'm still curious about were: CI m18, Patagooch FCD F-Rocket, and a Mitsven custom like SBD's (hope to try his this winter, looks perfect for my needs).

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Townsend or Ghost. Ghost if its more pitchy with a steep wall. Townsend if its more fatter & taking its time to stand up or you have to link through some flatter sections from the outside to the inside. It feels like I haven't needed either in a long time though with the lack of swell. My twin keel has been getting all the action.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Curious as I'm currently looking for something new. Considering Ghost, MOTE Fiji, or CI Two Happy, but curious about recommendations from you guys who have this pretty dialed in. Thanks!
Depends on the spot. DOH at the Rock, is not the same as DOH at Oeste #A, and is not the same as DOH Terramar. I ride a longboar, I know nothing.