what do u people do for a living. wax dryl aruka etc?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
My cigar and whiskey habit is in competition with my surfboard addiction. :ROFLMAO: One them is going to have to slow down.

I surfed 1 board for a year straight and even though it felt like my surfing improved, at times it felt a little monotonous. Like Oneula said "It either lives up to its promise and works or it doesn't. But you are constantly learning with each adventure."

Trying new boards and fins is what keeps the fire lit. Some people dont understand it and think you are rich, or have a problem, etc... but its just too much fun.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I love that @waxurDyl orders 3-4 from a shaper at a time.

1. The shaper probably loves that.
2. Across 3-4 boards you can find something that the shaper does that you like and apply to future orders.
3. I bet you get discounts or free color or something. For sure cheaper shipping. At least a t-shirt.
4. I've always wanted to do that.
5. If you like them all, then you just got 4 magic boards!
6. Next time you order from shaper, you'll get their best customer service.

Zero hate.
As for my situation...as mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m a letter carrier with the Postal Service. I started at 24yrs old and have 18yrs in. My wife(the breadwinner, by far) and I only have a mortgage, we have no kids or debt. Surfing is my only hobby, I don’t drink or get daily coffee outside the house.

The way I stock my quiver does get me “deals” and one off experimental shapes from a handful of good board builders. Running joke amongst my local crew is that I never order boards, I only order quivers, lol. Few weeks back I picked up the latest Burch and got 2 more started. Then next day I ordered 3 Dark Arts from Justin for a $5700 surfboard tab for the month. BUT that’s only a once/twice a year occurrence. I’ll sell 3 boards to make it easier to swallow. I usually only get 1-2 boards a month and sell one a month. One thing about getting “boutique” boards is that they’re easy to sell. Mainly bc most guys don’t want to wait the customary wait times, don’t want to pay the premium, and they don’t see them on racks at every shop so they don’t know exactly how the board will turn out. But Racer is right, I’ve built a solid relationship with my favorite shapers so they know exactly how I like my boards. It wasn’t cheap earning the “special attention” of my favorite shapers but it IS nice to get rush orders from them when a trip is looming.

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
As for my situation...as mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m a letter carrier with the Postal Service. I started at 24yrs old and have 18yrs in. My wife(the breadwinner, by far) and I only have a mortgage, we have no kids or debt. Surfing is my only hobby, I don’t drink or get daily coffee outside the house.

The way I stock my quiver does get me “deals” and one off experimental shapes from a handful of good board builders. Running joke amongst my local crew is that I never order boards, I only order quivers, lol. Few weeks back I picked up the latest Burch and got 2 more started. Then next day I ordered 3 Dark Arts from Justin for a $5700 surfboard tab for the month. BUT that’s only a once/twice a year occurrence. I’ll sell 3 boards to make it easier to swallow. I usually only get 1-2 boards a month and sell one a month. One thing about getting “boutique” boards is that they’re easy to sell. Mainly bc most guys don’t want to wait the customary wait times, don’t want to spend the premium, and they don’t see them on racks at every shop so they don’t know exactly how the board will turn out. But Racer is right, I’ve built a solid relationship with my favorite shapers so they know exactly how I like my boards. It wasn’t cheap earning the “special attention” of my favorite shapers but it IS nice to get rush orders from them when a trip is looming.
u the man!
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: waxurDyl

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
my board formula is simple
1. needs to be paddle to get out with out into the lineup and catch waves with ease
2. needs to generate speed in any kind of wave i would ride with little effort
3. needs to put me where i want when i want without compromise
4. needs to remain in control in any kind of wave i would ride with little effort/stress

not many designs have met these simple requirements
in the old days you'd just make it work
but these days, everything's so specialized/compromised and not built to last that they eventually fail
usually have some fatal flaw that makes you continue the search

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If you like to drink beer, just get a job at a brewery like I did.

Free beer every day! :cool:

You'll save a lot of money on booze, but you still won't have a ton of disposable income for board whoring
:cry:
Problem is keeping the weight off if you own a brewery. Part of the reason why I don't brew.

Reactions: jkb

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
my board formula is simple
1. needs to be paddle to get out with out into the lineup and catch waves with ease
2. needs to generate speed in any kind of wave i would ride with little effort
3. needs to put me where i want when i want without compromise
4. needs to remain in control in any kind of wave i would ride with little effort/stress

not many designs have met these simple requirements
in the old days you'd just make it work
but these days, everything's so specialized/compromised and not built to last that they eventually fail
usually have some fatal flaw that makes you continue the search
curious to hear which have...

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I order two boards a year, well not this year.

Editor by trade, 40yo, renter, single with no kids. When I was working full time I saved alot of money so ordering a surfboard aint no thing, plus I only order Stamps and they are very reasonably priced - its the space in my apartment that I run out of. 1 bedroom, 750 sq feet and currently have 11 boards here. Got em in a rack, against a wall - under the bed - at my parents house in Laguna. If I had a garage - id have a sh!t ton more boards.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

The way I stock my quiver does get me “deals” and one off experimental shapes from a handful of good board builders. Running joke amongst my local crew is that I never order boards, I only order quivers, lol. Few weeks back I picked up the latest Burch and got 2 more started. Then next day I ordered 3 Dark Arts from Justin for a $5700 surfboard tab for the month. BUT that’s only a once/twice a year occurrence. I’ll sell 3 boards to make it easier to swallow. I usually only get 1-2 boards a month and sell one a month. One thing about getting “boutique” boards is that they’re easy to sell. Mainly bc most guys don’t want to wait the customary wait times, don’t want to pay the premium, and they don’t see them on racks at every shop so they don’t know exactly how the board will turn out. But Racer is right, I’ve built a solid relationship with my favorite shapers so they know exactly how I like my boards. It wasn’t cheap earning the “special attention” of my favorite shapers but it IS nice to get rush orders from them when a trip is looming.
Excellent point. If you buy sick boards they do sell much easier.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
curious to hear which have...
some of these do
most have a flaw or two
problem is in the getting bigger, weaker and slower with age 50-70
3/4 of the bunch I have stored at home or in storage
but about 1/8 have been sold or given away as gifts already some with regrets
longboards, shortboards, assyms, hybrids, experimental and homemade stuff

partial quiver history .jpg

Last edited:

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
I budget 1 full priced surfboard a year. This year that means $800. A few things allow me to stretch that :
1) I ride mostly epoxy boards. If you take care of them they last longer.
2) Ive been doing this a long time, so the quiver has grown to where I don't wear out my boards as quickly.
3) like some others, I buy "kool aid" boards that will have some resale value later.
4) I have enough patience to wait for good condition, second hand boards in my dims. 2 x $400= 1 full priced surfboard.
5) I keep a wishlist of boards, so that I can buy them when they come up cheap, rather than when I need them.

Ive only purchased one board this year, but in 2019 it worked out like this:
BOARD BOUGHT/SOLD $
------------------------------------------------------------
Mitsven Fish SOLD +600
MBLV SOLD +500
RNF SOLD +400
RTT BOUGHT -900
Bonzer Biscuit BOUGHT -450
Vader BOUGHT -300
Bonzer Biscuit SOLD +450
Vader SOLD +300
Cymatic BOUGHT -450
Ghost BOUGHT -450
Mini Driver SOLD +350
Bourez SOLD +300
Step Up SOLD +300
Hydronaut BOUGHT -600
HS Misc BOUGHT -500
--------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL : 8 out, 7 in spent $450, got to try a bunch of different boards, and am stoked no matter which one I pull off the rack.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
i like this one:

"5) I keep a wishlist of boards, so that I can buy them when they come up cheap, rather than when I need them."

just realized i have 3 stubby shortboards i don't need to have.
gonna get rid of 1. But if i get rid of two, :unsure: maybe i'll get an order going heheheheh. They' wanna pass a law here charging more tariffs to couriers (right now they are ridiculously cheap ). if they do, then i'm fckd... and boards gonna get too expensive for down here... shites.