what do u people do for a living. wax dryl aruka etc?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I usually sell before I buy. And try to sell more than buy. Seems to me the price of boards has been slowly going up. Hasn’t it? Now i see a lot of $700 thrown around , whereas before that number was only reserved for CI and lost.

so, better to buy before $800 s the new normal...???

Lately i’ve also been getting boards that work better for me, and we should support the industry , right

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
no kids, no mortgage(paid off), no car payments(paid off), no more daily starbucks/acai bowls, no more fancy downtown lunches or dinners unless paid for by someone soliciting my approval(new job), no alcohol, no illicit drugs.
Insurance, basic utilities, property taxes, diesel, toilet paper, food and clothes are my major expenses
so what ever I don't spend out of my self allocated petty cash allowance goes toward my "splurge fund"
life's short, and you can' take it with you..

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Getting the rotation going is pretty important. Buy for $800, sell for $400. That gives you the opportunity to try 10 boards a year at $400 a pop or $4K. I have no problem with that when you think about all the other ways you spend $4K. One month of rent. Exercise budget. Restaurants etc.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Wax Ursula is out of control though. Dude has a self storage I think lmao. No hate.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I love that @waxurDyl orders 3-4 from a shaper at a time.

1. The shaper probably loves that.
2. Across 3-4 boards you can find something that the shaper does that you like and apply to future orders.
3. I bet you get discounts or free color or something. For sure cheaper shipping. At least a t-shirt.
4. I've always wanted to do that.
5. If you like them all, then you just got 4 magic boards!
6. Next time you order from shaper, you'll get their best customer service.

Zero hate.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I love that @waxurDyl orders 3-4 from a shaper at a time.

1. The shaper probably loves that.
2. Across 3-4 boards you can find something that the shaper does that you like and apply to future orders.
3. I bet you get discounts or free color or something. For sure cheaper shipping. At least a t-shirt.
4. I've always wanted to do that.
5. If you like them all, then you just got 4 magic boards!
6. Next time you order from shaper, you'll get their best customer service.

Zero hate.
You'd expect all of this to be true but it just hasn't been the case in my experience, unfortunately.

You'll often get a little cut off the total, or each board, but it usually ends there. Maybe a different experience if you're going with the more backyard(ish) or boutique shapers.

• Dislike
Reactions: racer1 and chilly1

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
My experience from far, has been the shop guy can mess things up. talking surf and explaining sht is already hard enough. Better if you can email back n forth directly with the shaper, and/or talk to him over the phone. In my case i sometimes will send a picture of the board i like. unfortunately it'd be even better if the shaper got to see the board in person. These days, if you are gonna order, i think is better to send the deposit right away so they know your serious about ordering.
mmmmm, i guess you guys already know this.