What do moderates and centrists believe in?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
squidley said:
A centrist is exactly what the name implies, someone who sticks his finger in the wind to find out which way the political wind is blowing. He determines the arguments to the left and to the right, and finds a compromise position.

A centrist is NOT what any of the myriad idiot leftists on this thread are attempting to re-define into leftists. However, centrists and leftists share one all-important attribute ......situational ethics .....the lack of any core values.
Find the golden mean, dummy

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
squidley said:
afoaf said:
as usual, you're insane.

you're supporting a person who is morally and ethically bankrupt all because he
may advance your conservative agenda and yet you have the gall to lecture others
about situational ethics.
Lessee..... Trump has removed the myriad draconian Obama regulations which stifled freedom and killed personal income. He did his best to eliminate Obama's version of sociaLized medicine. He reduced taxes on people who pay most of the taxes. He opposed stripping of our right to defend ourselves using firearms. He appointed and installed federal judges who rule based on the Constitution instead of judges who replace the rule of law with their own warped world views. He stood up for states rights to decide on abortion law. He reduced unemployment to record levels, especially among minorities. He supports reforming immigration laws to eliminate "catch and release.

You'll find the things which matter to Americans where the rubber meets the road. Bitch all you want, I'd say Trump has done a great job of demonstrating core values and principles.
What about his shitty ethos?

You have no problem with his venal psychopathy?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
squidley said:
afoaf said:
as usual, you're insane.

you're supporting a person who is morally and ethically bankrupt all because he
may advance your conservative agenda and yet you have the gall to lecture others
about situational ethics.
Lessee..... Trump has removed the myriad draconian Obama regulations which stifled freedom and killed personal income. He did his best to eliminate Obama's version of sociaLized medicine. He reduced taxes on people who pay most of the taxes. He opposed stripping of our right to defend ourselves using firearms. He appointed and installed federal judges who rule based on the Constitution instead of judges who replace the rule of law with their own warped world views. He stood up for states rights to decide on abortion law. He reduced unemployment to record levels, especially among minorities. He supports reforming immigration laws to eliminate "catch and release.

You'll find the things which matter to Americans where the rubber meets the road. Bitch all you want, I'd say Trump has done a great job of demonstrating core values and principles.
LOL to this entire post.

But let's focus on immigration. If he supports reforming immigration laws, why hasn't he done it? 2 years of full governmental control by (R) has brought us what in the way of new and better laws?

And why was Trump's best not good enough to get rid of Obamacare? How great is he that he can't even do it when he has the house and senate too?

Which regulations did he get rid of that you like specifically?

Where did you see that income is rising, particularly in real terms? I mean, most information out there shows stagnant wages and inflation, but you seem to know more.

Where has Trump supported states rights on abortion? Or on anything for that matter?

I can't wait to hear this stuff from the guy who incorrectly references the "fruit of the forbidden tree"!

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
StuAzole said:
The middle believes in not worrying about gay marriage or abortion and also not making it too easy to sponge off the government. The middle believes in free trade and smaller government. The middle believes the church should stay out of government and that governments shouldn't hang the 10 commandments in government buildings. The middle believes that there are deals to make on almost every issue, from immigration to taxes to guns to you name it that benefit us as a nation but also require both sides to give a little. The middle believes that most voters aren't evil or uninformed idiots. The middle believes there's no single "right" answer to all of our problems and believes that electing politicians who are able to deal with matters on a case by case basis is better than electing politicians who refuse to think outside the party-line box.

But more than anything, the middle doesn't let their political leanings define them. They don't wear it as some sort of badge. They're just people trying to live their lives and would be happier if the nuts on the left and right would chill the fook out.

The middle is where the most educated and sane Americans are.
There's some generalizations in there that could be quibbled with, but on the whole, solid job IMHO.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GWS said:
StuAzole said:
The middle believes in not worrying about gay marriage or abortion and also not making it too easy to sponge off the government. The middle believes in free trade and smaller government. The middle believes the church should stay out of government and that governments shouldn't hang the 10 commandments in government buildings. The middle believes that there are deals to make on almost every issue, from immigration to taxes to guns to you name it that benefit us as a nation but also require both sides to give a little. The middle believes that most voters aren't evil or uninformed idiots. The middle believes there's no single "right" answer to all of our problems and believes that electing politicians who are able to deal with matters on a case by case basis is better than electing politicians who refuse to think outside the party-line box.

But more than anything, the middle doesn't let their political leanings define them. They don't wear it as some sort of badge. They're just people trying to live their lives and would be happier if the nuts on the left and right would chill the fook out.

The middle is where the most educated and sane Americans are.
There's some generalizations in there that could be quibbled with, but on the whole, solid job IMHO.
Of course. I think my point was that the middle is open to hearing issues and making decisions as the need arises. The right move one week may not be the right move the next. It's about compromise for the sake of the country, not winning and losing.

Sticking it to the libs/conservatives has no place in our politics.

But there probably is some truth to the idea that the middle is too quiet in politics. Imagine the noise the middle could make if they took to the streets to let the extremes know how unhappy they were. Rather than hundreds or thousands, millions and millions would be able to make a stand.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
StuAzole said:
squidley said:

LOL to this entire post.

But let's focus on immigration. If he supports reforming immigration laws, why hasn't he done it? 2 years of full governmental control by (R) has brought us what in the way of new and better laws?

And why was Trump's best not good enough to get rid of Obamacare? How great is he that he can't even do it when he has the house and senate too?
You're just trying to grind the narrowness of the last Republican election victory into people's ribs. In the senate Republicans have a narrow majority, certainly not the 60% needed to force any measure to a vote like Democrats used to pass Obamacare and to pass the largest spending increase in history. Donald Trump played no roll in any of these LEGISLATIVE actions.

Conversely, unlike Democrats, the Republican leadership allows fringe Republicans to vote as they please. Your favorite leftist Republican John McCain cast the deciding vote against repealing Obamacare. Fringe left senate Republicans stand in the way of Immigration reform, and repealing catch-and-release.

Thank yourself.

StuAzole said:
Which regulations did he get rid of that you like specifically?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/how-trump-has-set-economic-growth-on-fire.html
On deregulation, Trump ordered that rules be pared back or eliminated across the board. During his time in office, Congress has cut back on the Dodd-Frank banking reforms, particularly in areas affecting regional and community institutions, rolled back a multitude of environmental protections that he said were killing jobs and took a hatchet to dozens of other rules. (The left-leaning Brookings Institution think tank has a rolling deregulation tracker that can be viewed here.)

During the first year of his administration, "significant regulatory activity" had declined 74 percent from where it was in the same period of the Obama administration, according to data collected by Bridget Dooling, research professor at GW's Regulatory Studies Center.

The Dodd-Frank rollbacks have been particularly helpful to community banks, whose share prices collectively are up more than 25 percent over the past year. Small-cap stocks in general have strongly outperformed the broader market, gaining 23 percent over the past 12 months at a time when the S&P 500 is up 17 percent.

The Federal Register, where business rules are stored and thus serves as a proxy for regulatory activity, was 19.2 percent smaller from Inauguration Day until Aug. 16 under Trump than during the same period for Obama.

"You can think of that as turning off the spigot of new regulations," Dooling said in an interview. She said more aggressive movement appears to be on the way.

Dooling said recent regulatory changes from the Environmental Protection Agency and the departments of Education and Labor will advance deregulation in an even "more meaningful way."

In addition to expected deregulation benefits, there's also anticipation that the true benefits of tax cuts have yet to kick in. Mick Mulvaney, head of the Office of Management and Budget, recently told CNBC that he attributes the bulk of new economic growth to deregulation rather than the tax cuts, whose benefits he expects to come later.
StuAzole said:
Where did you see that income is rising, particularly in real terms? I mean, most information out there shows stagnant wages and inflation, but you seem to know more.
Lie. I made no claim about income either rising or falling. I said that Trump removed some of Obama's draconian impediments to personal income. I talked about record employment under Trump. Then you bitched about income. But since you mentioned income.....

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wages

Wages in the United States increased to 22.81 USD/Hour in September from 22.73 USD/Hour in August of 2018. Wages in the United States averaged 11.09 USD/Hour from 1964 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 22.81 USD/Hour in September of 2018 and a record low of 2.50 USD/Hour in February of 1964.
See the graph on the website. It doesn't port to this BB. It shows steadily rising wages. After only two years it appears that Trump's policies are working.

StuAzole said:
Where has Trump supported states rights on abortion? Or on anything for that matter?
Trump has appointed and installed two Supreme Court justices who, unlike Obama's picks, said that they intend to apply the Constitution as written. That would mean applying the Tenth Amendment to abortions, and applying the First Amendment to custom cake baking.

StuAzole said:
I can't wait to hear this stuff from the guy who incorrectly references the "fruit of the forbidden tree"!
I would try to deflect too if I were in your pathetic shoes, but not with lies.

I can see a person disagreeing with Constitutionality if it means losing political battles. You're wrong, but I can see it. However, I can't understand how a person who has any esteem whatsoever for the United States objecting to America prospering. That's slit-your-own-throat schadenfreude. In your out-party shoes I would be cheering America's success, not deriding it.

You are truly a scourge. But thanks for pointing out that in order to complete Trump's agenda voters need to vote against lunatic leftists like you.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
StuAzole said:
This, times a million.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
LOL. If you think I'm some radical leftist it's no wonder you're always so worked up.

As for wages, you missed the "real" part. I would post an article, but maybe it's more compelling if I just give you a google search link that gives you multiple links to articles discussing how real wages are flat to declining.

https://www.google.com/search?q=real+wages+stagnant&oq=real+wages+stag&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.3285j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And I don't think it's wise to discuss legal interpretation with a guy who is repeatedly wrong about legal matters (declaration, fruit of the "forbidden" tree etc.). I will only suggest that all judges are activist, but you only see it when it goes against your views. If deciding laws based solely on the "constitution as written" was actually a thing, there would be no need to have great legal minds on the Court - anyone could do it.