What do cops know...

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Cops are always cool to me. I pull over somewhere safe for them to conduct the stop. Shut off the car and roll the windows down. Hands stay on the wheel. Everything is yes sir, no sir. When asked for lic/reg I state where they are and ask if I have permission to get them. I always tell them about the emt/rescue knife in the center console and any medicinal herbs I might have.

Turns speeding into fix it ticket for tint.
this

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
mythbusters showed em fail a breathalizer for mouthwash

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Cops have a rough and dangerous job. That being said, I can't stand the police unions in California strong arming cities into paying huge pensions while the average citizen gets boned by taxes.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Cops have a rough and dangerous job. That being said, I can't stand the police unions in California strong arming cities into paying huge pensions while the average citizen gets boned by taxes.
Police, fire, and other municipal workers also double up on the pensions as they retire from one organization and move to another one.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

I typically support unions, but police unions are the worst of the worst. And it's rarely about money. It's typically about their unconditional support for the heinous behavior of their own. Have always said that the solution to police misconduct is that all settlements to victims of brutality and police misconduct should come from their pension funds not taxpayers pockets. That would put a stop to such behavior real fast.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Police, fire, and other municipal workers also double up on the pensions as they retire from one organization and move to another one.
There's nothing wrong with pensions. But, when your average police Officer retires with the same pension as very senior DOD military Officers then you know the system is broken.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Cops in a lot of Nj make 6 figures within 10 years not mention an absurd pension to go along with near impunity. Generally a strong supporter of unions but the police unions are powerful and should be up on Ricco charges for their conduct.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
True story.

There is a building inspector I know. He told me about the time he framed someone. He literally threw him through a storefront window. Then arrested him for burglary. Evidence? He was inside the store with a broken window. It was part of the Rampart scandal.

So he had to "retire". He is now a building inspector. The entire department wants him gone, but because of civil service protections, they can't.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Cops in a lot of Nj make 6 figures within 10 years not mention an absurd pension to go along with near impunity. Generally a strong supporter of unions but the police unions are powerful and should be up on Ricco charges for their conduct.
Same in California.

And they do things like this:

I've heard through sources the DA's can't really do anything with a case like this and basically take a dive to avoid an indictment. If they do make a case, then the police brotherhood will kill the important relationship with the prosecutor's office.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
True story.

There is a building inspector I know. He told me about the time he framed someone. He literally threw him through a storefront window. Then arrested him for burglary. Evidence? He was inside the store with a broken window. It was part of the Rampart scandal.

So he had to "retire". He is now a building inspector. The entire department wants him gone, but because of civil service protections, they can't.
How about this one, the majority of cops on tape beating Rodney king ended up as supervisors.

Nov 15, 2016
Mystic
A few good apples in the bunch. For the most part f the rest of em but I also don't get triggered when they pop a dude that has it coming, like the guy in the video.

I'm sure it can be stressful, but if it's too much they shouldn't sign on. They also get to stand around make 60/hr for directing traffic impatiently.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Cops are a necessary evil.

Corruption is always going to be a problem with LEOs everywhere.

In comparison to the rest of the world we should be thankful.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Back in the day, Mexico was the worst. Federles. You could be out in the middle of nowhere and a unmarked car would pull up. Search through all of your gear. You were toast.
I was on a 40 hr bus ride in Mexico back in the day and some of the cops were the WORST. PGR (Judiciales). They looked like crooked cops from central casting - necklace badge, dirty t-shirt, .45 stuffed into the waistband, chewing a toothpick, etc. They would get on the bus and select luggage to toss at random (then not put back of course) & verbally abuse people who weren't quick enough. I woke up from a nap with one of them holding a knife and a package yelling "is this yours? Open it or I'll cut it open!" I was a deer in the headlights but the campesino dude next to me was like, "nah, it's mine, I'll open it." Generally they targeted indigenous passengers the most. Dealing with US cops is a cakewalk comparatively speaking.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I do a bit of work with cops and tons of work with firemen. I would NOT want to be a cop. It can be a scary, sketchy and difficult job (with scary, sketchy, violent people). They get a lot of really unfair perceptions and hasty generalizations just for being cops. Most firemen work their asses off as well and I can't think of a single negative assumption anyone makes about them. I think being out on the field as a cop and worrying about getting shot while approaching a car window, in a restaurant, every shift etc sure would phuk with my own head. No thanks.
Very true. People make fun of CHP but all they do, day in and day out, is walk up to strange cars on the side of freeways with people speeding by at 75 mph two feet away. It's a gnarly job. I have seen it change my brother in law completely, and a few other LEO's I know as well. They get used to being lied to and dealing with the lowest common denominator of humanity on the regular. Pretty soon, everybody seems like a liar and a scumbag. He admits it, it's messed him up.