What do cops know...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
when they pull you over for a traffic stop? In that 30 seconds or so before they hit the lights, what information do they get?

I got pulled over last night for running a red. I knew I was late and was like "Ah Fk!" as I passed by and saw the black and white. He followed me me down the street. I stopped at a light. Waited for the signal to change. Made a right turn. And then he pulled me over. He checked my license and registration, asked me if I'd had any alcohol, and then let me go with a warning. Halleluia!

But I was wondering what info they see before they pull you over?

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
They have their lil computers. I’m sure before they exit the vehicle they have the name, address, and if there are any outstanding warrants for the registered owner of the vehicle. Soon they’ll have your google search history.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
They have their lil computers. I’m sure before they exit the vehicle they have the name, address, and if there are any outstanding warrants for the registered owner of the vehicle. Soon they’ll have your google search history.
^ This

I had a sheriff pull me over one evening. Told me I rolled through a stop sign. Respectfully, I told him I didn’t roll, I stopped as is my practice. He then asked me how many drinks I had (asked about 4-5 times). He said he may have to do a field sobriety test and asked me for my registration. I pulled out my registration and my disability placard fell out of the glove box. He asked me if the placard was mine and if I was disabled. Told him yes. He asked what my disability was, I answered I didn’t think that was pertinent but, ‘friendly fire’ isn’t friendly. He gave me back my registration, told me he couldn’t do a field test and told me to drive carefully. I said good night and drove off (almost pooped my shorts, had a few glasses of wine with dinner before the stop)...

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
^This+2

Enough info to call for backup to have your car sniffed down by the K9 squad if necessary.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Hell. The local K9 teams are getting exercise these days by walking through the local High School parking lots.

My nephew got popped for having a bag of the goo in his glove compartment.

The meth test.

They ask an extremely agitated person to just chill out for one minute. One minute.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

Maybe your Google search history will actually generate the APB/warrant???

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Erbb posting history....

some of you guys better hope you never get pulled over

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Typical practice back in the day was to call the pedestrian stop or the traffic stop with the plate out over the radio prior to making the stop, that way everyone kinda had an general idea of who was doing what in case things went to sht or someone needed help. In our jurisdiction the policy prohibited gang banging routine traffic stops unless there was an actual reason to have more than 2 cars onsite.

Anyways, call the plate out and the dispatcher will immediately run it to see if the plate comes back to the vehicle initially described, if the registration was current and if there were any wants directly associated with the vehicle itself. So even back then - before the mobile data terminals even came along - we had that much information to work with prior to making contact. Now they may have access to everyone associated with the vehicle and their situations.

Getting the data terminals in our vehicles (our agency was the 2nd one to get them in the OC) didn't change the radio protocols but what it did do was allow the cop to run plates at random on their own without doing it over the radio, and to run IDs on their own when it was convenient to do that. We would get additional details on a call we're being dispatched to without having to take our own notes by hand and so on. Now they're even getting maps so the don't have to look addresses up with a map like we used to.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
they usually know insurance im pretty sure as well.
I have my license number memorized and that has helped me 2 times when I didnt have my license
Also you can now show proof of insurance on phone which is nice.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
A few months ago I got pulled over by CHP with a mouthful of Listerine after nearly causing an accident in the intersection. I spit it into a towel and probably would have maxed a breathalyzer. He was cool and gave me a lesser ticket, and online traffic school was a breeze.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
A few months ago I got pulled over by CHP with a mouthful of Listerine after nearly causing an accident in the intersection. I spit it into a towel and probably would have maxed a breathalyzer. He was cool and gave me a lesser ticket, and online traffic school was a breeze.
I hope a drunk driver never kills you or anyone you love.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Eat some durian and the cops won't have any desire to get near your breath.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I hope a drunk driver never kills you or anyone you love.
The only alcohol inside me was in my mouth (Listerine). I was worried he’d pull me over for opening my door and spitting it out on the street. In that moment of “wtf do I do?”, I started turning and caused a situation.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The only alcohol inside me was in my mouth (Listerine). I was worried he’d pull me over for opening my door and spitting it out on the street. In that moment of “wtf do I do?”, I started turning and caused a situation.
Aye I was hoping that was the real story. Original post was a bit confusing.

Reactions: Ifallalot