what criteria went into purchasing your last board?

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
I just listened to a podcast where Rob Bain said that 90% of all Intermediate surfers are riding the wrong board.
So with that being said I was wondering what criteria went into your most recent board purchase or board you had shaped?
Brand, surf shop advice, friend advice, shaper advice, getting out of shape, etc...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Rocker is my first consideration. I want it to fit the conditions it will be ridden in and I want it to perform a certain way.

Outline, rails, fin placement, concaves, tail shape are all important considerations as well, but I am willing to compromise a bit.

Construction is another major consideration for me. I have purchased a grand total of 1 PU board in the last 10 years. Just put a deposit down on another, mainly because I was interested in trying a board from a shaper who doesn't work with EPS.

Edit: Did I misunderstand the question :shrug:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Wanted something easier to ride as I am getting old(47), went with a slightly up volume Lost RNF retro, exactly what I needed.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
1. saw it online for $50, ridden twice
2. dimensions worked for me

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Must have : carbon fiber railed helium tech double parallel balsa stringer with koa wood deck skin. 5 fin option fcs2, extra cloth around the plugs (added strength). Resin swirl under the glass, (proven 2.5% speed increase in double blind placebo controlled studies). Wave tank readiness (adjustable buoyancy capable). Etc.

many more to list, but this covers the bare necessities

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Wanted a grovler version of my current daily driver

Added some volume to current daily driver

Wanted a EXPERIMENTAL board from a legend

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Curious statement. Did Bain give any specifics on why he thought that? Assume too many people just want to ride what they see the pros riding, rather than more pragmatic choices.

My last board bought was a Rusty step-up last month (used, off CL), as I've gone shorter/wider the last couple years, and found myself really undergunned on the first giant SoCal swell of the winter. The model I chose (Blackbird) had really positive reviews both online and feedback from locals who I've seen riding it. So, I was looking to fill a specific gap in my quiver, and it has done exactly what I hoped.