What Boards You Got On Order?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I ordered a 6'4" round pin and a 5'11 rocket knock off through SMTH shapes a couple weeks ago.

550 shipped per.

made in south efrica.

no word on turnaround time.
Please report back on the boards once you get them. I'm particularly interested in the durability side of things.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Please report back on the boards once you get them. I'm particularly interested in the durability side of things.
Will do bud. I have somewhat low expectations as far as durability based on my limited experience with SA built boars.

Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Will do bud. I have somewhat low expectations as far as durability based on my limited experience with SA built boars.
My Ignite model lasted 2 months until the deck was so sunken in that my front foot rocked on the stringer.

Sold my Hookit after one use, I could press down with my thumb without any effort to put a pressure ding in it http://grahamsmithboards.com/surfboards/hookit/

I could have been unlucky of course, and I didn't specify a glassing schedule, so maybe all I get was 4 x 4?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My Ignite model lasted 2 months until the deck was so sunken in that my front foot rocked on the stringer.

Sold my Hookit after one use, I could press down with my thumb without any effort to put a pressure ding in it http://grahamsmithboards.com/surfboards/hookit/

I could have been unlucky of course, and I didn't specify a glassing schedule, so maybe all I get was 4 x 4?
hah, great. i should have asked on here before I ordered.

i had similar experience with my Spyder board I picked up over there. good shape and craftsmanship but the materials were just not as good as US and AUS. my buddies spyder was magic board status though and he's had a couple shipped over since then.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
hah, great. i should have asked on here before I ordered.

i had similar experience with my Spyder board I picked up over there. good shape and craftsmanship but the materials were just not as good as US and AUS. my buddies spyder was magic board status though and he's had a couple shipped over since then.
Haha, there's a few sefferican's like me floating about...although I prefer the monicker, "Bru crew"

Are you conflating Spyder with Spider Murphy? Spider's certainly one of Seff Efrica's hall of fame shapers.
My G-stars still looking fresh in this pic
http://instagr.am/p/-cCHk_BTgT/

Reactions: sh3 and MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Haha, there's a few sefferican's like me floating about...although I prefer the monicker, "Bru crew"

Are you conflating Spyder with Spider Murphy? Spider's certainly one of Seff Efrica's hall of fame shapers.
Indeed I am. Spider Murphy it was. Hell of a nice fellow.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
View attachment 98510
5-10 hayden loot has been really fun the past couple weeks. One of the more versatile stubbies ive ridden to date. Catches waves really well and has a bit of extra glide over flat spots. Not quite like fish or grovel level glide but enough to make life a bit easier. Where it really has advantages over most grovely boards is with how well it holds in on a steep face. The tail width is just a skosh over 15" and the bottom contours are mellow so it stays pretty planted feeling and doesnt feel like it wants to slide out the moment sh1t gets real. Only ridden as trusty. Dhd L sides, ea blackstix center best combo so far.
For some reason, I thought you got the PE construction.

How do you like the feel of the FF?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
For some reason, I thought you got the PE construction.

How do you like the feel of the FF?
I like it. Doesn't feel like it chatters terribly or anything. I'm generally a fan of EPS for smaller, weaker waves but this one feels like it handles a little size too.

The Loot is now out of commission with a cracked fin box after I nailed a fat bull kelp head a few days ago.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: teeroi and sdsrfr

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I like it. Doesn't feel like it chatters terribly or anything. I'm generally a fan of EPS for smaller, weaker waves but this one feels like it handles a little size too.

The Loot is now out of commission with a cracked fin box after I nailed a fat bull kelp head a few days ago.
I've been pretty impressed with FF.

I feel like it handles a wide variety of conditions well. I've had mine for a couple years now and it's in constant rotation. Only a rail crack so far.

I'll definitely get another one.

Reactions: Aruka

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
Custom 5’10”x19.125 CI 2.Pro in PU on the way, together with a 5’11x19.125 Pyzel Highline in DA construction. Both 29.9 L.
It’s been a while since I ordered my last PU board and much more since I got my last CI. I’m curious to compare its performance against my reliable Sharpeyes and Pyzel.
I72, FT, Ghost are at the top of my podium.
Looking ahead for next winter.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
why are the fin boxes set so far back? puts trailing edge behind the crack
Yes. This one was more than a bit stiff. Fast down the line but hard to put on rail. I traded it when getting a MOTE.
I have another made in Bali that is great. 6’8 x 21 x 2 9/16. Foiled down rails and tail with a touch more rocker
1686794713528.jpeg1686794713528.jpegIMG_0972.jpegIMG_0978.jpeg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
thinking i need a 7ish r. blackbird for fall
Hard to go wrong with that.

I was thinking about a new 7-6 to 8-0 step up for this fall/winter. Was looking at the G-money II but considering others as well. A bigger Blackbird would be the safe choice.

Reactions: chilly1

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Yes. This one was more than a bit stiff. Fast down the line but hard to put on rail. I traded it when getting a MOTE.
I have another made in Bali that is great. 6’8 x 21 x 2 9/16. Foiled down rails and tail with a touch more rocker
View attachment 156375View attachment 156375View attachment 156376View attachment 156377
Beautiful board. Have you tried waxing more towards the rails bro? It feels so weird to me when I ride a board without wax under my toes and heels... It can really fak you up in steep sections.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Beautiful board. Have you tried waxing more towards the rails bro? It feels so weird to me when I ride a board without wax under my toes and heels... It can really fak you up in steep sections.
No. I keep my feet pretty close to the centre. Never had an issue and dont waste wax.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I ordered and have received this chanelled twin pin from Scotty James on the Gold Coast. SJC surfboards. Have been riding it in Indo on some decent sized waves and so far it has been perfect. Fast and solid under foot but can turn well off the back foot. Like my MOTE Fiji on acid!
6’8 x 20.5 x 2.5

Attachments

Last edited: