What board for NSW October through Feb?

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Going to be in Australia from October through February spending time in Sydney and Lennox Head area. I assume it will be pretty small most of the time.
Which board to cover most conditions through that period?
Thinking an allrounder like a Lost QK(I have one) or a local model like a Chilli Rare Bird or Black Vulture.
Going to be surfing beachies and points.
Cheers

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Spring is the worst season on the East Coast (though there are a few secret spots that can work). You will most likely be surfing smaller mushy waves. I'd be looking at a JS Blackbox 2, DHD Skeleton Key 2, Maybe a Rare Bird but probably more a Churro, etc. If you're not from Australia, why not seek out a local shaper that doesn't have distribution OS. Can recommend: Outer Island, Sculpt, Acsod, Stacey, MR, Webber, Bourton.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
tomo evo or slater sci phi will have you covered for 90% of the waves if you want to buy off the shelf.

As Tomay mentioned, lots of excellent local shapers around that sell top quality boards at a better price than the big companies though. like this one from Force 9 in southern sydney...

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
these look fun from another local shaper too:

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/220525445[/vimeo]

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Both DP and Force 9 are great southern Sydney shapers - a DD and a grovel style board will cover it. Hopefully some cyclone swell during summer will put a smile on your dial. QLD had some quality waves last summer - southern NSW, not so much.

I say do some research on insta and the net and find a local shaper as Toddo suggested - eye symmetry looks good.

https://eyesymmetry.com/

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Thanks. I am from there but have not lived in Oz for a very long time.
Looking forward to it and will definitely look at some local shapers.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Tomay said:
Spring is the worst season on the East Coast (though there are a few secret spots that can work). You will most likely be surfing smaller mushy waves. I'd be looking at a JS Blackbox 2, DHD Skeleton Key 2, Maybe a Rare Bird but probably more a Churro, etc. If you're not from Australia, why not seek out a local shaper that doesn't have distribution OS. Can recommend: Outer Island, Sculpt, Acsod, Stacey, MR, Webber, Bourton.
The Turn happens magically sometime after New Year. Spring direness turns to E/NE swell goodness, and the points start to pump. Expect Jan-Feb to be vastly superior to Oct-Nov.

There's a lot of good shapers in Sydney and northern NSW, but since you'll be in Lennox you could pay a visit to http://www.webstersurfboards.com.au/ and Gunther Rohn.

If it starts pumping, and you're itching for a good wave board, hit up Dale Wilson at Byrning Spears for a deep six swallow.