What are the advantages of G10 fins?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Wondering what the purported advantages are of commercial G10 fins like those made by NVS (not concerned as much with custom ones like some shapers on here make).

From what I gather they are stiffer but not sure in what situations that is an advantage as there are some fins (like Futures Blackstix) that tout their flexibility. Is it mostly for bigger surf? Or is it more of a feel thing where someone might like less flex in all conditions while others might prefer flex?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Wondering what the purported advantages are of commercial G10 fins like those made by NVS (not concerned as much with custom ones like some shapers on here make).

From what I gather they are stiffer but not sure in what situations that is an advantage as there are some fins (like Futures Blackstix) that tout their flexibility. Is it mostly for bigger surf? Or is it more of a feel thing where someone might like less flex in all conditions while others might prefer flex?
The rigidity keeps the pressure - energy- on the fin
A well designed template controls that constant pressure enabling it to release properly and more , as the fin designer intends.
No such template exists in your favored brand

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I have NVS G10 fins in the AM template. A set in medium and a newly arrived set in large. I use the fcs2 system in my board but those fins are available in single and double tab only. So just needed to put a spacer in and screws.

The G10 material is rigid but the fins are on the thinner side compared to foam core fins from FCS and Futures. So there is some flex.

I normally ride large fins in my hpsb under 6’0 but I tried using the medium G10 instead. Since there should be more drive because of the fins rigidity. Pretty much what I felt. Same drive in the smaller fins compared to the larger pro core ones but because the fins were a little smaller quicker turning and release.

I ordered the large fins to see if I would like them. Mostly cause NVS sent me a discount coupon. I’m a sucker for smart marketing. Fins have been working great. I got a little inside wave today that walled up all the way to the Ala Wai channel and I just kept pumping to generate speed thru some soft sections. I rode to the rocks by the channel. Was pretty winded after that and the paddle back out was far. But I could feel the drive off the fins. It’s a board I’ve ridden all summer that I thought was losing its pop but it felt pretty lively with the new fins. Your mileage may vary. Haha

Reactions: foamdust and Havoc

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I use the NVS fins for my Surf and Kiteboards and happy with them. Mine have super sharp edges but ok with that.

The guy running it has great CS without the mumbo jumbo

Reactions: teeroi

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I really like the feel of G10 fins and have been pretty happy with my NVS fins (JL medium and peregrine medium). I'd also contribute to the Griffin with futures base fund

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I have NVS G10 fins in the AM template. A set in medium and a newly arrived set in large. I use the fcs2 system in my board but those fins are available in single and double tab only. So just needed to put a spacer in and screws.

The G10 material is rigid but the fins are on the thinner side compared to foam core fins from FCS and Futures. So there is some flex.

I normally ride large fins in my hpsb under 6’0 but I tried using the medium G10 instead. Since there should be more drive because of the fins rigidity. Pretty much what I felt. Same drive in the smaller fins compared to the larger pro core ones but because the fins were a little smaller quicker turning and release.

I ordered the large fins to see if I would like them. Mostly cause NVS sent me a discount coupon. I’m a sucker for smart marketing. Fins have been working great. I got a little inside wave today that walled up all the way to the Ala Wai channel and I just kept pumping to generate speed thru some soft sections. I rode to the rocks by the channel. Was pretty winded after that and the paddle back out was far. But I could feel the drive off the fins. It’s a board I’ve ridden all summer that I thought was losing its pop but it felt pretty lively with the new fins. Your mileage may vary. Haha
A slightly less thinned out foil will increase the drive and low end performance , twin tabs allow for some movement too.

If you want you can thin the tabs a little - no harm - and use pinstripe or other narrow tape to adjust the angle - you will feel this .

These twin tabs in G-10 are way stiffer at the base compared to Glass ons .

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal

I get mine from here. I've been luck and got rems from them

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The fin companies sold surfers on the notion that fin flex increases drive and also increases release in turns.....it's like they invented perpetual motion.

Drive comes from a solid undistorted fin that transfers that energy into propulsion. Any flex or change in shape is lost drive.

Release comes from the template and how it allows water to release at different angles of attack.

Fin flex was sold as an enhancement because the fin companies were using cheaper materials. g10 is more expensive and more difficult to manufacturer....but it is also most like glass ons.

Reactions: Havoc