What are "Lightning Bolt Colitas" and why did Gerry Lopez have to leave Hawaii?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A recent post stated:

"Somebody should have asked him about Lightning Bolt Colitas, and why he had to leave Hawaii. It's a great story that many would like to forget."

I have heard he was not well like on the NS due to his behavior on the south side of the island in the summer and was run out of a bunch of spots on the NS (?) but what's this other story?

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Gerry always had an Armada with him when he paddled out. But you aint gonna run anybody off the NS. Have you ever been there? Im sure he made the call for his stoke. He found a new adventure with snowboarding and wanted to pursue it.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Gerry always had an Armada with him when he paddled out. But you aint gonna run anybody off the NS. Have you ever been there?
Yes I've been there a few times over the years for surfboardriding

I could imagine, during the era where Lopez was doing his thing, that it would be very easy for the local guys to run a person out of various spots.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Yes I've been there a few times over the years for surfboardriding

I could imagine, during the era where Lopez was doing his thing, that it would be very easy for the local guys to run a person out of various spots.
You mean surf spots? Certainly not his home. That would be an issue for LE. As far as NS goes... they dont call it the Seven Mile Miracle for nothing.

Last edited: