What actually is a 'section'?

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Taking an example of an A frame wave, is the 'section' the peak along with the left and right (i.e. the whole wave)?

Or are there two sections - the left section and the right section?

Last edited:

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
As a wave is peeling, a section would be a portion of the wave that breaks ahead of the peeling curl. The traditional "perfect wave" is a wave that continues to peel consistently and does not begin to break ahead of the peeling curl
:waving:

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Context dependent. In your photo, at a perfect reef, that might be a snapshot of 30-50+ (?) yards of wave referred to as the "tube section". Maybe somewhere else at a reef or point the wave slows up, bends in, or reforms and that's a "cutback section" or "fat section".

Often, especially in average beachbreaks, section means a portion of the wave that closes out, or at least breaks or forms an addressable lip, in front of you.

"end section" = when the wave closes out, last opportunity to hit the lip/top turn.

"oncoming section" = one that sort of wedges at you.

"closeout section" = should be self explanatory

I don't think I've ever really heard an A-frame peak in and of itself have a section. Maybe the "takeoff section"?

Reactions: JJJJS

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I just think of a section as a part of the wave, always in front of the surfer, that is doing something different than what the part of the wave being ridden is doing: closeout section, flat section, dumping section, racy section, &c. The word section is always preceded by the description of said section. I don't refer to the take-off as a section, it's a take-off.

Reactions: JJJJS

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The word section is always preceded by the description of said section.
Or the context should be clear.

Shortboarders passing workable day at average beachbreak:

"Howzit?"
*shrug* "Some sections."

People at a pointbreak that might be iffy on the day's swell direction:

"Did you get that at Mollusk/Saturdays?"
"Yeah, grabbed it last week."
"Rad. I was checking it out while they were making my caramel VALiatto."
"Yeah. They said I could have some free wax, but they didn't have any Chai x Avocado bars left."
"You should have tried to parlay that into one of the candles."
"You're so right."
"How is the surf?"
"It's a bit sectiony but you can get some that run all the way through."
"Cool."
"Namaste."