What’s up with the butt hurt about “adults wearing flip flops”?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
It's a common complaint by city/inland/non-outdorsy people.

That said, I don't get long pants and flip flops.
If its warm enough to wear flip flops, it's warm enough for shorts.

If long pants are necessary, Birks + socks are the best. Flame on. :hat:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I hear a lot of anti-flip-flop blather from transplants, office drones who never go outside, and those awful women who have nothing better to do than complain about other people's clothes. Their opinions mean less than nothing to me.

That said, I had to give up flip-flops a few years back, on doctor's orders, so now I wear those Teva things. Way better for your feet. I only wear flip-flops at the beach and in my kitchen.

And yeah, they were called go-aheads when I was a kid.

What the fuck?!?!? When did they change my name?!?! I'm Witchipoo, damnit. I have no idea who this Janet person is.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I call them sandals.

I don't have any aversion to people wearing them unless they have really ugly feet and/or haven't cut their toenails in a year. Old fat guys come to mind.

It's funny when 909'ers buy their sandals two sizes too big and wear them with oversized, cut-off jeans that are still too long and wrap under their heels. That looks like sh!t.

It's hot when a good looking chick wears tight jeans and sandals. I like that look.

What's up with all the fat guys who wear the Mick Fanning sandal? Fat guys love those things.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
This comes up quite often. I’ve seen it in (non-surf related) forums, I’ve heard people talking about it and I’ve had people say things to me like, “flip flops with jeans? Really?”

WTF is wrong with wearing flip flops?
There is nothing wrong with wearing flip flops, slaps... whatever you want to call them. People who comment on what others wear have more deep-seated issues. Who cares what they think?

This thread coincides with other threads - people worrying about what surfboards other people ride... how dare they ride a log or *gasp* a soft top.

People, most of us posting here will be dead in the next 50 years. WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF AND ENJOY THE FACT THAT YOU GET TO SURF.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There is nothing wrong with wearing flip flops, slaps... whatever you want to call them. People who comment on what others wear have more deep-seated issues. Who cares what they think?

This thread coincides with other threads - people worrying about what surfboards other people ride... how dare they ride a log or *gasp* a soft top.

People, most of us posting here will be dead in the next 50 years. WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF AND ENJOY THE FACT THAT YOU GET TO SURF.
I think you misunderstood my post. I’m not upset by the anti-floppers, I’m just curious about what the issue is.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Where I live exactly zero sh!ts are given by anybody. Maybe in Kansas it's different?

Some jobs require closed-toe shoes for safety reasons or whatever. That's a little different.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
I have to wear real shoes at work and gym, but once home they are off at the door and it is flips everywhere. I wear flips right up to the edge of inappropriate attire, but don't give a fvck. Life is too short to wear shoes all the time.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I have to wear real shoes at work and gym, but once home they are off at the door and it is flips everywhere. I wear flips right up to the edge of inappropriate attire, but don't give a fvck. Life is too short to wear shoes all the time.
Same.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I think I saw something written years back by that ding dong chas smith, who commented on mainlanders wearing flip flops, thongs, slaps... whatever you want to call him. Not sure how some average surfer from oregon became anyone of relevance in the surf industry. Also. think I saw an instagram post a while back where Ford Archbold was wearing flip flops and his hipster Orange County friends were teasing him. You won't see Knost wearing slaps. Not sure what to make of his new Vans shoes.

I'm in san diego and wear slaps most of the year. I do cringe when I see the socks/slaps combo... but whatever. It's like seeing the guy who wears his underwear under his wetsuit. It is what it is.

I think you misunderstood my post. I’m not upset by the anti-floppers, I’m just curious about what the issue is.

Reactions: jkb

unclebraddah

Gerry Lopez status
May 2, 2005
I go chru bout 2 1/2 pairs of Rainbow Navigator and tree Vionics a year. Left strap usually breaks. Its all i wear. 808 All Day Navigators foa comfort foa da win li dat. Got fo have da kine orthopedics.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I think I saw something written years back by that ding dong chas smith, who commented on mainlanders wearing flip flops, thongs, slaps... whatever you want to call him. Not sure how some average surfer from oregon became anyone of relevance in the surf industry. Also. think I saw an instagram post a while back where Ford Archbold was wearing flip flops and his hipster Orange County friends were teasing him. You won't see Knost wearing slaps. Not sure what to make of his new Vans shoes.

I'm in san diego and wear slaps most of the year. I do cringe when I see the socks/slaps combo... but whatever. It's like seeing the guy who wears his underwear under his wetsuit. It is what it is.
Our 16 year old will NOT wear flip flops, ever. Not when he's in HI, not ever.

:unsure: