What’s so bad about the Conservative Agenda?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I’ll start
Choice is good
christian fundamentalism is bad (separation of church and State)
reasonable gun laws would be good(not coming for your guns, just some assurance you’re not crazy)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pico and grapedrink

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I'm certainly not suggesting repealing the second amendment (I own guns) I don't see a problem with slightly more rigorous background checks to own firearms. Doubtful the founding fathers foresaw the type of that would come. Just because there are fully auto 50 cal. weapons doesn't mean the general public should be able to have them. Should we be able to have RPG's , claymore mines...?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm certainly not suggesting repealing the second amendment (I own guns) I don't see a problem with slightly more rigorous background checks to own firearms. Doubtful the founding fathers foresaw the type of that would come. Just because there are fully auto 50 cal. weapons doesn't mean the general public should be able to have them. Should we be able to have RPG's , claymore mines...?
Yes

Limits on one amendment open the door to limits on other ones.

All we have to do is see how California treats CCW permits to see how government can abuse the public

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am not sure what the Conservative Agenda is any more. It used to be sort of like this:

- Tax cuts
- Bigger tax cuts for the wealthy
- Less government bureaucracy
- Less government regulation of businesses, and less environmental protections
- Pro free market economy
- Strong military
- Anti-communist, anti-totalitorian, pro-democracy, pro-West

Now it's kind of like they added all this stuff and made the new stuff more important than the old stuff:

- Isolationism
- Anti immigrant, unless they're legal and have means
- Anti abortion in almost all cases
- Anti intellectualism is a plus
- Anti classical liberalism
- Pro equality, anti equity
- Anti LGBTQIAA+

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yes

Limits on one amendment open the door to limits on other ones.

All we have to do is see how California treats CCW permits to see how government can abuse the public
Every right has limits. Scalia specifically wrote this about the Second Amendment.

You should read what he said about the 6th, er, 4th.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I am not sure what the Conservative Agenda is any more. It used to be sort of like this:

- Tax cuts
- Bigger tax cuts for the wealthy
- Less government bureaucracy
- Less government regulation of businesses, and less environmental protections
- Pro free market economy
- Strong military
- Anti-communist, anti-totalitorian, pro-democracy, pro-West

Now it's kind of like they added all this stuff and made the new stuff more important than the old stuff:

- Isolationism
- Anti immigrant, unless they're legal and have means
- Anti abortion in almost all cases
- Anti intellectualism is a plus
- Anti classical liberalism
- Pro equality, anti equity
- Anti LGBTQIAA+
The entire agenda is just the opposite of anything democrats want, even if they don’t actually disagree.

Reactions: npsp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Newly released number from ATF shows that there are 423 million legally owned firearms in the US.

If guns were the problem…

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Haven't the conservatives already de facto repealed the "well regulated" part?
Well regulated is in reference to the milita, not the people.

At the time “regulated“ meant “trained” and “militia“ meant “army”.

The right of the people to possess firearms was established to protect them from the militia.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Well regulated is in reference to the milita, not the people.

At the time “regulated“ meant “trained” and “militia“ meant “army”.

The right of the people to possess firearms was established to protect them from the militia.
I've always understood that the founding fathers did not want a standing army (the Continental Army was disbanded after the war). The militia was a citizen army to be used only as needed. The right to bear arms was to keep this citizen army ready. So it was the citizens bearing arms that needed to be regulated.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
No limits on anything.

No rules apply to me.

ME ME ME ME
I might be wrong but what I think he means is that amendments to amendments of the constitution opens the door to nitpicking apart the constitution like that's gonna take care of the issue.