Wetsuits - how much does height/weight matter?

Jun 24, 2020
Hello. I recently purchased a Rip Curl Dawn Patrol wetsuit, size MS. The MS fits people who are 5’7 to 5’9 and weigh 150-170 pounds. I am 5’9 1/2 and weigh 140. the next size below is the S which is for 5’7-5’9 and 135-155 pounds. The next size up is the M which is for 5’9-5’11, 150-170 pounds. I chose the MS because there was a big sale and that was the only option available.

How important is the height measurements for wetsuits? Do you think I will be OK if I stick with the MS, even though I am a half inch taller than the max height and below the weight recommendation? Would the S be the better choice considering my weight? What is more important in a suit - weight or height?

Also, unrelated question, is the zipfree worth it? How is it compared to chestzip and backzip?

I am new to surfing so thanks for the help!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
No one here can answer that for you, it's like recommending to you whether. pair of jeans will fit you if you're a size 30 waist. If it's comfortable, then that's the correct size for you. If you're a bit taller, all it means is that the cuff on the legs will sit a tad higher up.

Zip free is sh!t, chest zip is great, back zip is worse than chest, but easier to get in and out.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Weight is more important, in my experience. Wetsuits tend to fit me better when I'm on the max end of the weight rec.

I'm 5'9. When I was 145 lbs, I would always be in a small suit.

I too would like a DM of those t!ts.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
There are many factors to consider while selecting a wetsuit. First, do you like turtles? Second, do you do airs? Ninth, do you touch your pepis (man parts) with your right or left hand. Sixth, do you smell like cabbage? And finally, would you be so kind and to show all of us your t!ts so we can properly ascertain what size you should get? After that, you should then quit surfing. PM OT, he’ll help you out in that regard.
thanks, management.

Jun 24, 2020
Weight is more important, in my experience. Wetsuits tend to fit me better when I'm on the max end of the weight rec.

Soo, i've done effed up with the MS selection. Looks like I need to get an S.

PS - DM Sent

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
You can go a little bigger, with some exceptions I can think of from my experience.
-Really cold water the suit won't be as warm after a good flushing. I'm gonna throw a number out that I consider the beginning of cold <50°
-Big waves. A poor fitting suit can fill up like a balloon and drown you in larger waves. Another number 8'-10'+ beyond that point you don't want any problems like that.
-With gloves and boots, they should be tucked in tight enough toseal the connection, no blow outs(coming untucked during a flushing event.

That's all for now. If you are primarily gonna surf 55°+ in head high or below you really shouldn't have much trouble with a slightly bigger suit IMO
It can make changing a little easier too.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
If your new to surfing like you mentioned and this is your first wetsuit possibly, than go to a surf shop and try on the different brands/sizes. Each brand fits/feels different. Once you get familiar with how they fit it is easier to order online, but starting off your best going into a shop. For example, Ripcurl fits my wide shoulders the worst and O'Neill fits the best on my body. Everybody is different, go in and make sure your fitted right.

Reactions: Aruka

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Get measured correctly....I always thought I was always 5’10 and thus looked at the size chart and automatically bought a Large suit....until I was measured correctly at 5’9.75 and looked at the sizing chart....Medium Tall with XYZ company or Large Small with ABC company...tried on the suits and holy cow, what a difference it made...I was no longer swimming in my suit and my sessions would last longer without the extra water swooshing around...

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
It's so brand specific, and build specific. I'm an outlier on height at 6'4ish and skinny, the Oneill LTs are the only thing that fit well for my build. Other talls aren't tall (i.e. a tall that is 6' isn't really tall IMO) or have arms/legs/torso/whatever that doesn't fit properly.

TLDR use size chart as a guide but try on as many as you can.

• Love
Reactions: Mr Doof
Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
Weight of course is important, but to have the right dimensions will make you even healthier and look naturally. I have so many questions on this theme, starting from the first step that will lead to perfect results. In my case I have less weight, from what I should have considering my height. But, that's not a problem, after I did bmi calculator test, already know what to do and what is my AIM. Will use their advices and programs to gain weight and positive results. Body health is important for everyone, can’t be skipped or ignored because what will be at the end or will make you happy or depressed.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This account has to be some kind of bot, right?
Speaking of bots, did anyone else get this PM?

Dear Friend,

My name is Mrs Sue Saunders from Netherlands, I am a widow and an orphan, I lost my husband 5 years ago, before then I was diagnosed with cancer, the reason why I am here on this wonderful site is because I want to see how best I can touch lives positively.

Life is too short so no matter what you have, as long as its material things ,its all vanity and you cant take it along when its time for you to go, the most important thing is live a good life.

Before my husband died he he worked as one of the chief engineer in one of the biggest gold and diamond mine in Liberia , the reason why I am saying all this is because my doctor says I have very limited time so please I want you to know that this message to you is not just a blessing to you but your family and most importantly to help realize the dream me and my late husband failed to bring to light, which is to help the needy and less privileged , my late husband left behind 8.3 million USD.
The reason why I am saying this is because I have decided to choose you as my next of kin, and I want you to use those funds for the following reasons.

1 donate to the orphanage homes
2. Help the less privilege
3 help the widows and widower
4. Help children who have lost their parents during this Corona virus crisis.

If we don't do this the bank top officials will share the money among themselves once I am gone because they know I am a widow and an orphan,

but that will only happen if I don't present someone as my next of kin, they will use that opportunity to divide and miss use my husband's hard earned money.

Please kindly contact me on my private email ( heartofsue@gmail.com ) Sue Saunder, i will explain more for you to really understand and be assured that what you are doing is 100% legal and also to confirm to you that i am in my sane mind when i wrote this message,

I am sorry I have to stop here because I am getting weak, this is the longest message I have wrote in a while now, stay blessed.

Thanks,
Mrs. Sue Saunders.

Also, weight is more important than height on wetsuits

Reactions: Yewstreet and Kento