Wetsuit Shampoo - Worth it you you?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Every few wears, I clean my wetsuit with purpose made wetsuit shampoo.

And every time I do, I wonder if the stuff really makes that big a difference.

I mean, wouldn't some hair shampoo do?

Or do the purpose made wetsuit shampoos really do all they purport to do? After all, wouldn't it be nice is this were true:
"Regular use will make it more flexible. - 8 oz - Cleans and conditions your wetsuit and neoprene products - Extends the lifespan of neoprene material - Non-toxic - Cold water activated - Bio-degradable"

What do you think?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Every few wears, I clean my wetsuit with purpose made wetsuit shampoo.

And every time I do, I wonder if the stuff really makes that big a difference.

I mean, wouldn't some hair shampoo do?

Or do the purpose made wetsuit shampoos really do all they purport to do? After all, wouldn't it be nice is this were true:
"Regular use will make it more flexible. - 8 oz - Cleans and conditions your wetsuit and neoprene products - Extends the lifespan of neoprene material - Non-toxic - Cold water activated - Bio-degradable"

What do you think?
I use a bit of laundry detergent in a bucket after every surf. It makes a big difference over water alone

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I too use laundry detergent......but once every two weeks or so. It definitely feels softer and more flexible after a good lather.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
read that it's a sham and you can use woolite as a substitute. i've used a hair conditioner before, seemed to make it smell nice also more flexible and softer.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I use the same Dr Bronner's castile (peppermint or eucalyptus flavor) soap that I use to shower, for laundry and dishes.

Reactions: PPK96754
May 24, 2020
I have never washed my wetsuit with a special shampoo. This shampoo costs a lot of money. It's better to buy a good shampoo for yourself with this money, which I did. I wash my wetsuit with the most common cheap shampoo. As a rule, such a shampoo costs about $ 5. For myself, I bought a good GOLD LUST SHAMPOO. I have no regrets, and I think that the priorities are set correctly.
All in all, my wetsuit is great. Nothing is damaged, and everything is well laundered. So, guys, these specialty wetsuit shampoos are just business. Don't fall for this nonsense and throw money down the drain.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
First I use a pre-wash soak, I let it sit for an hour. I usually use this time to tidy up my nails.
Then I use a post-pre-wash moisturizing preparation.
Then I wash using a little lavender essential oil mixed with Woolite.
Then I use a nice aromatic conditioner.
Then I blow dry on cold for 40 minutes.
I tie my leash string around my key loop for the whole cycle to get all that yucky wax off.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and sdsrfr