Wetsuit Shampoo - Worth it you you?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Every few wears, I clean my wetsuit with purpose made wetsuit shampoo.

And every time I do, I wonder if the stuff really makes that big a difference.

I mean, wouldn't some hair shampoo do?

Or do the purpose made wetsuit shampoos really do all they purport to do? After all, wouldn't it be nice is this were true:
"Regular use will make it more flexible. - 8 oz - Cleans and conditions your wetsuit and neoprene products - Extends the lifespan of neoprene material - Non-toxic - Cold water activated - Bio-degradable"

What do you think?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Every few wears, I clean my wetsuit with purpose made wetsuit shampoo.

And every time I do, I wonder if the stuff really makes that big a difference.

I mean, wouldn't some hair shampoo do?

Or do the purpose made wetsuit shampoos really do all they purport to do? After all, wouldn't it be nice is this were true:
"Regular use will make it more flexible. - 8 oz - Cleans and conditions your wetsuit and neoprene products - Extends the lifespan of neoprene material - Non-toxic - Cold water activated - Bio-degradable"

What do you think?
I use a bit of laundry detergent in a bucket after every surf. It makes a big difference over water alone

jkb

Phil Edwards status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I too use laundry detergent......but once every two weeks or so. It definitely feels softer and more flexible after a good lather.

LifeOnMars

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 14, 2020
read that it's a sham and you can use woolite as a substitute. i've used a hair conditioner before, seemed to make it smell nice also more flexible and softer.

_____

Miki Dora status
Sep 17, 2012
I use the same Dr Bronner's castile (peppermint or eucalyptus flavor) soap that I use to shower, for laundry and dishes.