Wetsuit hoods.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I tried those but feel a lot of water flushes in. Maybe helps a little with wind chill? I presently have one with an "apron" under it. I also have a back zip wetsuit (which I'm about to retire...never again) and the apron sometimes comes out from under the wetsuit neck, and then the neck leaks. So now I wear it over the wetsuit neck. It looks ridonkulous and flushes a bit, but it's better than when I tuck it in.

The best is the hood with the attached vest. I tried to skip on it this time around to save a few bucks but will go back to it soon, maybe the Needessentials one.

I don't correlate the hood with booties. Booties I wear because of rocks and because I don't have to worry about wax. They also cushion the bunion on my right foot. I like surfing with booties. I have friends who hate them.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I surfed with a hood just like that every time in Santa Cruz for 15 years. Love em. The thinner the better. Doesn't take much to keep your head warm. I could go 2 hours easy as long as the water wasn't too cold.

Never used booties so can't speak to that aspect.

Dec 28, 2019
I surf in San Diego so most of the time don’t really need either. There are however sessions where I wish I could hood up so I have the separate hood. When I wear it I don’t like that the water gets trapped in the ear and you have to work it out. The noodle is much warmer though. I don’t wear booties cause they suck mostly, fill with water and are clunky.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yes. Have worn booties only3-4 sessions in last few years since wearing a hood. Unless hood surf at dawn it’s not needed at all but it’s been a game changer for me seeing as how a majority of my sessions are from daybreak to 8 or so.

Reactions: whynotsurf

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
For me good boots are much less annoying than a hood so they go on earlier in the winter season.
Never used a cap type hood.
This year (in the UK) seems much milder than usual and although I've worn a hood a couple times I've thought it may be overkill just now.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
A) Some people argue hoods before booties. I'm not one of those people.

B) Not a fan of chin strap hoods.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I never wore a hood until I went to the Doc and he said, "You need to have your ear drilled." Now I wear them as soon as the water gets under 60.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Those are not good hoods. If you want a light one, the O’Neill 1.5mm psycho one (has a neck) is good. Just a single layer - sits over neck and does a pretty good job at keeping water out. Not as watertight as an attached hood but much better than the dumb chin strap.

Reactions: Lohena

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
I wear a $20 5/3 unattached hood I picked up at the local divers supply store. I wore it all last winter and never wore booties. It gives me the 1-2hrs or 30+ waves I need to be fulfilled during a session and not having to worry about f n up waves by stubbing my bootie toe during my pop ups. I'm usually cold after more than 2hrs in 57 degree water wearing gloves and booties anyways. The hood has never flooded or been a hassle. The extra wide neck brim actually splashes the water flow off the back and neck during duck dives too.

Dec 28, 2019
That one looks warm. Wonder if it’s got enough neck gator to tuck under the neck seal and stay put. Looks a little short to me? Anyone own one of these?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That one looks warm. Wonder if it’s got enough neck gator to tuck under the neck seal and stay put. Looks a little short to me? Anyone own one of these?
See my earlier post. Mine has more than that and comes out. I just wear it out.

I also cut the bill down because it hindered forward visiblity when paddling.

ps I hear my friends complain about tripping on their bootie toe. Never happens to me. I got these for $40. Easy to get in and out of too.

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I have that hood. You don't tuck them into the neck of your wetsuit. They sit over the neck of your wetsuit and help to prevent flushing on duckdives. Way better than the chin strap hoods. It's a comfy hood. I like these better than attached as I'm not in super icy water, but it keeps my ears warm in the wind and no ice cream headache on the initial paddle out. The detached versions are easier to turn your head.

Reactions: JTS and urchined

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I never wore a hood until I went to the Doc and he said, "You need to have your ear drilled." Now I wear them as soon as the water gets under 60.
I went to the Op Pro in 1990 and Robert "Doc" Scott, M.D. the founder of Doc's Proplugs had a tent set up with an otoscope and you could see the images on a little tv. I was pretty shocked that my ears had pronounced (over 70% occlusion in both ears) exostosis at only 18 years old.

I've been pretty religious about wearing earplugs ever since and have been able to avoid getting mine drilled. I find the problem with using water temperature as an indicator when to use a hood or earplugs is that it's sometimes hard to make yourself get out when conditions are starting to deteriorate and you're having fun. Wind picking up either sideshore or onshore in relatively warm (mid 60's) water can start aggravating my ears as much or more than sub 60 degree water with calm wind.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
A) do you feel they keep you out of booties longer
b) how do you feel about this type of hood: https://www.ripcurl.com/us/mens/wetsuits/booties-gloves-hoods/dawn-patrol-hood.html#754=1408
A) Not just no, but fuck no. 58 is pushing it no booties. 59 on a nice day when I'm moving a shitload or I'm wearing a good, warm 3/2. I'm not putting a fucking hood on until it's 52-51 and I'm duck diving a decent bit.

B) Looks maybe good for places people's heads get cold from the wind, but maybe there's not that much duck-diving?

I have the hood urchined posted and I flip the thing off as soon as I'm out the back unless the air is in the 30s, then it's the instant before I think I'm paddling into position to take off.

I have that hood. You don't tuck them into the neck of your wetsuit. They sit over the neck of your wetsuit and help to prevent flushing on duckdives. Way better than the chin strap hoods. It's a comfy hood. I like these better than attached as I'm not in super icy water, but it keeps my ears warm in the wind and no ice cream headache on the initial paddle out. The detached versions are easier to turn your head.
I tuck this hood under my neck enclosure, but I am pretty sure I get most of it over the inside gaskets, so anything that does seep through the neck/hood zone normally drains out. Plus my neck-fat game is authentic Ossabaw Hog Southern BBQ.

I feel like I'd lose the thing wearing it over my wetsuit getting my ass properly rogered in solid surf.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
A) do you feel they keep you out of booties longer

Yes, a hood keeps me away from booties longer.

b) how do you feel about this type of hood: https://www.ripcurl.com/us/mens/wetsuits/booties-gloves-hoods/dawn-patrol-hood.html#754=1408

I prefer the full hood better than the chin strap ones because they protect your neck from the wind. Also, the chin strap ones tend to slip around and flush more. I just got the O’Neill one for Christmas. I like it better than others I’ve had because the neck is less bulky and it’s 100% smooth skin.
1640620550164.png

Reactions: Lohena