Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This soy boy is a medium tall if you’re taking requests.
Keep a eye out weekly re stoke inventory quick even during pandemic great customer service and even O'neil has not re stock on line inventory slow as fuk during pandemic:shaka:

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Keep a eye out weekly re stoke inventory quick even during pandemic great customer service and even O'neil has not re stock on line inventory slow as fuk during pandemic:shaka:
Yah, some how my buddy scored a large.

Spent a bit hunting it down but sure enough found one in under a week.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
@ocean7847 told me Oneill is hoarding suits at their retail shops.

Give the Oneill shop in Capitola a call and see if they have any in your size and if they'll ship it to you.
That’s some good fugging intel. My buddy found his at a small brick and mortar with online shop.

Hansen’s had some this weekend but they were all back zips. Was surprised to see so many on the rack.

Reactions: ReForest and jkb

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That’s some good fugging intel. My buddy found his at a small brick and mortar with online shop.

Hansen’s had some this weekend but they were all back zips. Was surprised to see so many on the rack.
If you come to 805 "call or email 1st" check stoke at Beachhouse they have good supply and CI for the booby quad.

Reactions: sdsrfr
Jan 14, 2015
No problem at all with neck mobility. They all come with a cord with plastic toggle to tighten which makes it impossible for the hood to get ripped off the head when duckdiving or wiping out. It is also impossible to accidentally leave the hood at home.
I have to disagree with this. Definitely depends on the suit. I had a quicksilver hooded 5/4 a few years ago and after every session my neck would be killing me for a few days. It was a struggle to crank mg head back when timing my paddling and drop in. It got to the point where I would paddle for waves blind, just looking straight ahead. I have a hooded psvchotech and my neck is much happier

Reactions: Mr J

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
wetsuit quality is such shat that 5mm is the new 3mm. old days i could surf central coast in all 3mm no liner no booties. now need 4.5/3.5 or whatever bs theyre selling
I did not score a 4/3 until I moved to Santa Cruz early 90z and wore booties but pretty much wore 3/2 no booties South of Santa Cruz (Big Sur) and during few visits North. Oh by the way I walked to school both ways uphill in the snow:bricks:

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I find myself out in Southern California in late December most years and it does get cold in the mornings but it's usually the air temps rather than the water temps so I think 3 mil boots are plenty.

Reactions: Havoc
Nov 25, 2020
Okay, I'm a southerner and moved to the north east. Hoods are totally new to me, I have a Rash guard style one for once a year in south carolina.

Looking to buy the best quality 4:3 hooded wetsuit. I think if I need a 5 mm I'll sit out till it gets warmer. Out of what I've read, it sounds like people like the O'Neil suit the best? is that the consensus and over isurus?

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Okay, I'm a southerner and moved to the north east. Hoods are totally new to me, I have a Rash guard style one for once a year in south carolina.

Looking to buy the best quality 4:3 hooded wetsuit. I think if I need a 5 mm I'll sit out till it gets warmer. Out of what I've read, it sounds like people like the O'Neil suit the best? is that the consensus and over isurus?
Just get a 5mil. Unless you like 5-6 month breaks each year. If you're using a hooded 4/3 its going to be cold out anyway. No reason to limit yourself. With the right equipment it really doesn't feel that much colder.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not sure what part of the northeast but In New York a hooded 4/3 will get you through November and December maybe a little further. After New Years, the water usually drops into low 40s and you'll need a 5/4 through March sometimes later. The water takes awhile to cool off but also awhile to warm up. One thing to consider is that those winter months (January through March) often are the time of some really good swells. Ultimately you need both a 4/3 and a 5/4. I love a good 4/3 hooded and hate putting on a 5/4 but the 5/4 is more practical.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010

Same boat as you few years back. I went with a hooded 4/3 at first and I made it thru Dec. If you wanna surf year round def get a 5 mil. Spend the extra $ and get a quality one. I've only worn Oneills so can't compare to Isurus.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Brand wise for years I swore by Xcel Drylocks but the quality has gone downhill and I'm going to be transitioning to O'Neils going forward.