Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay?

Apr 6, 2015
I hated hooded suits when I had them in the past, even hated squid lids (O'Neill) when I tried them. They always fucked up my balance/spatial orientation. Couldn't hear right! I have trouble enough as it is, didn't need the added difficulty...

I now have a hooded 4/3 Billabong. Doesn't mess with my hearing or balance. Keeps me warm in the winter, and I can go longer without needing booties. But it's the first hood design I can live with. Don't even know why it's different that others I've tried, just better...

Reactions: rowjimmytour

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
IME Billabong has really small hoods compared to other brands. Good design but it’s tight if you have a big head.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
IME Billabong has really small hoods compared to other brands. Good design but it’s tight if you have a big head.
I seem to have big head and until I got my 'bong hooded furnace 4/3 never wore a hood and really like the confort and design. Best tight with out cinching the strap no fuss and no h2o in your eyes.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
How much of a pain is the neck zip on the Mutant? Is it one of those that you thread each time or does it stay connected and then you just zip up?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
How much of a pain is the neck zip on the Mutant? Is it one of those that you thread each time or does it stay connected and then you just zip up?
You thread it each time but the flap is long enough that It’s not difficult compared to some fromt zips I’ve had. I always use two hands but thats too avoid dicking around with it.

Reactions: jkb

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
I just sent mine back to O'Neil to have the zipper repaired, mine is basically impossible to thread + zip. I couldn't fine one locally, mail ordered one, and the starter point on the zipper started out frayed and just got worse. Would not have purchased if I'd seen it in person. Anyway, I dislike the design for this reason, I much prefer the type of chest zip that doesn't unthread.

O'Neil seems to have collapsed two suits - they used to have a hooded 4/3 Psycho as well as a 4/3 Mutant that was built with lower cost rubber. Now, they no longer have the 4/3 Hooded Psycho but have the 4.5/3.5 Mutant made out of the latest Technobutter rubber.

I like the new Mutant and it's nice and warm - but warm enough that I'm not going to wear it without a hood (also have a non hooded 4/3), so it sorta defeats the purpose of the swappable hood.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i have the og mutant and it’s not cheap neoprene like the epic series. It’s the OG neoprene that didn’t suck after 2 seasons.

while no doubt the new ones will be more flexible, I doubt it will last 5yrs like my OG has.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I like the new Mutant and it's nice and warm - but warm enough that I'm not going to wear it without a hood (also have a non hooded 4/3), so it sorta defeats the purpose of the swappable hood.
the hood is for cold days with a bunch of wind, take it off when it's warm and sunny but the water is still chilly. winwin

Reactions: jkb and sdsrfr

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I would use it as both.

I wear both a 4/3 and a hooded 4/3 a lot. We get a lot of hard, cold offshore winds when it's good and a hood is really key for keeping warm even if the water temps haven't hit 5/4 levels yet. I can wear a hooded 4/3 down into the high 40s/low 50s no problem even with 20mph cold offshores.

Just wondering if the zipper is too frustrating for heavy use.

Trying to replace all my Drylocks with O'Neills since the recent Drylocks I've gotten have kinda of sucked.

Reactions: Havoc