Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Detached for North Florida. Every few years we get a couple weeks where the water's 50 or under. Not enough reason for a 4/3. Booties at 60, gloves around 53, hood around 50.

F--k the things still suck though. Maybe mine is too big but I get flushed if I don't turn my head a very specific way when duck diving. I pull the damn thing down the instant I get out the back - it stays up for the paddle out and that's it.

I'd imagine attached 4/3 is the name of the game for people spending quality time in upper 40s water.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Although my primary suit is a 5/4/3 attached, I use a hooded rash guard vest for a hoodless 4 I have. I'd like to think I could go hoodless every now and again, but our water has been trending cold this last year and there haven't been any of those windows :rolleyes: When I lived in SF Bay Area used a hooded rash guard cause I could never afford to have more than one suit. Hood for the am sesh and no hood for the mid day or pm during the primary swell season. I don't feel much of a difference at all. In fact sometimes I think the hooded rash guard provides more flexibility with more pivot and less pull.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
depends where you surf most often. i've got a rule that is to not wear booties, gloves or a hood unless that body part goes numb. you can surf much of the west coast without one the majority of the time.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
what about the rash guards w/ attached hood? a friend let me borrow one of those when I forgot my hooded 4/3. seemed to work pretty well.
This is how I roll when I slip on a 4/3 since all of my 4/3s are hood free.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
^ that's the one i used and it worked well. i think xcel has one of the better designed hoods of any suits.
gotta watch the friction between smooth skin on the inside of the neck while putting the suit on, fvcked up the collar on a comp x using a similar vest. luckily they were able to repair it.

Reactions: TeamScam

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Havoc, you're in So Cal right? You don't really need a hood for comfrot do you? I only wear the hood for my ears- one drilled, one ready to go. Since I started wearing the hood my "ready to go" ear has not gotten worse. As soon as water temps go below 62 my hood is on (64 if I'm dawn patrolling) . I don't care what people think. I prefer surfing to surgery.

I definitely prefer the hood attached to rashguard vest. I have tried all manner of hoods and that is the best solution. The worst one I had was an Oneill "Squid Lid." Not because it didn't work, but because it literally made me look like a squid (it had excess space at the top of my head). I'm not really vain but that was too much.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Havoc, you're in So Cal right? You don't really need a hood for comfrot do you? I only wear the hood for my ears- one drilled, one ready to go. Since I started wearing the hood my "ready to go" ear has not gotten worse. As soon as water temps go below 62 my hood is on (64 if I'm dawn patrolling) . I don't care what people think. I prefer surfing to surgery.

I definitely prefer the hood attached to rashguard vest. I have tried all manner of hoods and that is the best solution. The worst one I had was an Oneill "Squid Lid." Not because it didn't work, but because it literally made me look like a squid (it had excess space at the top of my head). I'm not really vain but that was too much.
Why not wear docs or surf ears:shrug:

Reactions: sdsrfr

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I think the ear growth still happens with plugs. I am not a Dr. and don't have any real research. But I think the plugs stop infections and water issues - the hood helps with the cold water/bony growth.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think the ear growth still happens with plugs. I am not a Dr. and don't have any real research. But I think the plugs stop infections and water issues - the hood helps with the cold water/bony growth.
I think it depends more on temp of wind and then air and water but poster above said So Ca so on warm side but some hate ear plugs and prefer hood. I assume this is the case but I figured I would ask. I generally hear most from NW and NE cold h20 spots wear both plugs and hood:shaka:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've had one ear chipped and have been surfing in northeast for 30+ years.

From my understanding it's about the evaporative cooling of wind inside your ear canal.

So if you block that wind with an earplug or a hood or both it doesn't really matter. Just keep cold air out of your damp ear canal.

Personally, I use plugs in the warmer weather and a hood without plugs in the winter. I wouldn't want to put a hood on unless absolutely necessary. I feel like you are a lot more disconnected from things with a hood than with plugs.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've had one ear chipped and have been surfing in northeast for 30+ years.

From my understanding it's about the evaporative cooling of wind inside your ear canal.

So if you block that wind with an earplug or a hood or both it doesn't really matter. Just keep cold air out of your damp ear canal.

Personally, I use plugs in the warmer weather and a hood without plugs in the winter. I wouldn't want to put a hood on unless absolutely necessary. I feel like you are a lot more disconnected from things with a hood than with plugs.
Agree 100% I like my surf ears plugs but like booties in warm(er) water So CA loves extra rubber:foreheadslap:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I have long hair that blocks the wind on my ears and keeps me warm in the winter. Only bald dudes need hoods duu. haha. jk @Havoc

Never had a detachable hood. But i like my hooded 4/3 in the winter on a cold offshore morning. Its like pulling on a warm blanket. Cant wait!

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I’ve looked - there’s no evidence/research as to whether a hood or ear plugs are more effective

ive had both ears chiseled n go hood + plugs. Used to hate/never use either. Now used to them n not a prob