Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Detached.

Way more versatility with your suits.

I get an Oneill Mutant hood (the one that attaches to the suit with zippers) and cut the zippers off. Then pull my wetsuit neck over it so everything is tucked in nicely. It never comes out and never leaks.
Both. I had a Mutant. Nice to be able to change it. Not the most flexible suit, though. This was 10+ years ago, might be better now.

Reactions: sdsrfr and jkb

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
bro got back up to his truck parked next to mine the other week. i was just packing up and he was just out of the water.

he was wearing a hooded 4/3 and carrying a squid lid. dumb grin on his face.
hes like, man i got so high before i paddled that i didnt realize i was wearing my hooded suit until my squid lid got ripped off my head duck diving and i still had a hood on.

so yeah wear both

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Detached.

Way more versatility with your suits.

I get an Oneill Mutant hood (the one that attaches to the suit with zippers) and cut the zippers off. Then pull my wetsuit neck over it so everything is tucked in nicely. It never comes out and never leaks.
Might try that. I got an Isurus detached hood that’s supposed to be able to be tucked in, but it’s not long enough so ends up outside the neck after a couple waves. Much warmer than a squid lid, but I’m sure it looks stupid flapping around

Reactions: jkb

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I hate hoods. Always have. Used to be no one here really wore hoods unless gloves were already necessary, and I always would pull it down outside unless it was so cold you wouldn't want to. Got by many years with the 1mil vest w/hood under whatever suit at least 4mil usually 5. These days a newer 4/3 will take me well into hood season and that suit might get used into June so no attached hood there. I have attached 6/4/3 for Jan, Feb, March. I like it, only when needed.
Way back It was detached with a strap, boots had zippers. Vaseline was tried, even a heavy wool sweater under a windbreaker. I could have drowned easily many a day. Never got over the cold-cold.

Reactions: Aruka

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
what about the rash guards w/ attached hood? a friend let me borrow one of those when I forgot my hooded 4/3. seemed to work pretty well.
I have one w a vest for diving. Would be good for surfing too, but no visor on the dive hoods.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
For those who use attached hoods, how do you find it affects your head and neck mobility?

Do they come off as easy duckdiving as detached hoods?
No problem at all with neck mobility. They all come with a cord with plastic toggle to tighten which makes it impossible for the hood to get ripped off the head when duckdiving or wiping out. It is also impossible to accidentally leave the hood at home.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
If it's really cold, you want an attached hood, no question.

The vests with the hood attached work warmth wise but they are a little cumbersome. They will do in a pinch but if you are surfing cold water on the regular, get an attached hood.

Curious about the Mutants. I usually have both a regular 4/3 and a hooded 4/3 and the hooded one is one of my most used suits. Not sure if the Mutant is a gimmick or would be legit for heavy use.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For those who use attached hoods, how do you find it affects your head and neck mobility?

Do they come off as easy duckdiving as detached hoods?
I can wear a size large in most suits but if it has a hood attached it has to be a large tall.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
If you live in the northeast a hooded 4/3 is a great investment. I surfed for like 30 years without one but for the last several years I use it more than any of my other suits. I hate putting on a hooded 5/4 but the 4/3 isn't so bad for late fall-early winter or when the water warms up a bit in the spring. I usually try to stretch it till New Years with the hooded 4/3 and put it on again when the water gets up into the high 40s in the spring.

When the wind is howling offshore, which mean from the north where I live, the lack of cold wind on your neck and the back of your head is worth any inconvenience that a hood adds.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Curious about the Mutants. I usually have both a regular 4/3 and a hooded 4/3 and the hooded one is one of my most used suits. Not sure if the Mutant is a gimmick or would be legit for heavy use.
My first foray into coldwater suits was a 4/3 Mutant. It only had the Tb firewall but was a great suit. I upgraded to the newer Mutant the next year and it was even better. Only drawback is the zipper can be a bit annoying and I didn't realize how much I noticed the back zipper until I got a regular hooded suit. I wouldn't hesitate to get another though. .

Reactions: MathDebater