Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I like detached because I think it’s more versatile. Also prefer one that either tucks into or covers the neck of your suit. The cap style ones don’t keep your neck warm when it’s breezy.

Reactions: jkb

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
There are a couple decent detached hoods (O’Neill and Xcel) but they’re still not as good or as comfy as the real deal. You also can’t really pull them down the same way.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
For those who use attached hoods, how do you find it affects your head and neck mobility?

Do they come off as easy duckdiving as detached hoods?

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
For those who use attached hoods, how do you find it affects your head and neck mobility?

Attached hood is better in every respect, if you're wearing the hood.
The hood fits your head well but doesn't need to be as tight around your neck. Hence, more comfortable fit, and warmer (less flushing) than a detachable hood.

I find them a lot worse if when not wearing the hood, likely to rash your neck, the hood fills with water and pulls your neck when you duck dive, etc.

edit to add - I have no issues with a hood coming off while duckdiving regardless of whether the hood is attached. Hood needs to fit well, and I've also been wearing them for so long I'm very much in the habit of tucking chin-to-chest when duckdiving which also helps.

Reactions: Mr Doof

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD

They don't really affect mobility, maybe a little resistance while turning your head but it's not like you're gonna turn into the terminator. Good ones don't come off when duckdiving, that'd defeat the whole purpose.

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
If I need a hood, attached. As far as mobility, I've had shitty hoods (Patagonia, but the whole wetsuit was sh!t tbh) and quality ones (O'neill), YMMV based on your neck length, build, etc.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Thanks grundy/vanryss. I can get away with a 4/3 and booties but there were some sub-49 days where I was not comfortable. Seriously contemplating getting a hooded 5/4 for this spring.

As far as duckdiving, I guess I have a pathological need to stare right into the whitewater clouds as, no, I did not get beneath them once again. :roflmao:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Wetsuit: attached hood, yay or nay and why or why not?
attached hood. Most heat is lost through your head, so if it's cold enough to need a hood it's not going up and down. Attached hood means less leaks, less material around my neck ( collar and hood, doubles materials) and more comfort and warmth.

no effect on neck mobility, some effect on hearing but that is hood in general. Look at any cold water suit, hood is attached.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've only ever had one hooded suit. It was a 5/4/3 Body Glove.

I wore it, but I never needed it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
some effect on hearing but that is hood in general. Look at any cold water suit, hood is attached.
That's another concern. One of the reason I couldn't use earplugs was the lack of being able to hear threw off my equilibrium completely. On the other hand, I can't hear through my right ear much anyways. :roflmao:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Depends on how often you're surfing at dawn. ALso what sushipop said. I have a 2.5 mm custom detachable dive hood and it works fine.