Wet suit repair

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I posted a question on the 170 page wetsuit thread in the Design Section and was totally ignored. I know the folks here at the General Discussion are not as snobby and will tak about anything, so I'll try again. Just don't change the discussion to storing Christmas decorations or parking issues...or vaccinations.

Best wetsuit repair glue?

I just got a new suit (thanks Makoman) but I always keep my old suits as a mid season suit. My "new" old suit needs some repair- one seam on the ribcage is completly open (about 2"), other seams are pulling loose. Can you patch with some nylon and glue? And the tape they use, why isn't that available? And the rubber they put over the seams? Why can't you buy that? Maybe there's some kind of conspiracy to keep those products off the market so wetsuits have a planned obsolence of a year or two max....

I've used the black neoprene glue that you wait until it's dry on both sides, and then apply a second coat. It never worked. My friend said he uses "Goop" to add knee patches with some success. I also saw some "Gear Aid" patch and tape products online.

Just wondering what you generals have used with success?

Reactions: PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I posted a question on the 170 page wetsuit thread in the Design Section and was totally ignored. I know the folks here at the General Discussion are not as snobby and will tak about anything, so I'll try again. Just don't change the discussion to storing Christmas decorations or parking issues...or vaccinations.

Best wetsuit repair glue?

I just got a new suit (thanks Makoman) but I always keep my old suits as a mid season suit. My "new" old suit needs some repair- one seam on the ribcage is completly open (about 2"), other seams are pulling loose. Can you patch with some nylon and glue? And the tape they use, why isn't that available? And the rubber they put over the seams? Why can't you buy that? Maybe there's some kind of conspiracy to keep those products off the market so wetsuits have a planned obsolence of a year or two max....

I've used the black neoprene glue that you wait until it's dry on both sides, and then apply a second coat. It never worked. My friend said he uses "Goop" to add knee patches with some success. I also saw some "Gear Aid" patch and tape products online.

Just wondering what you generals have used with success?
Where are you located?

The best wetsuit glues are not sold in the USA.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm in the United State of California.
If you really want the best glue order from Japan.

If it's just an old suit use Aquaseal.

They sell seam tape on Amazon. I've never used it so can't vouch for any product.

Wetsuit glue is actually a type of contact cement, so it must be applied as instructed.
Make sure you have your work area set up so you don't make a mess and know in advance how you're doing to spread, and later hold the repair.
Also, make sure the repair site is well rinsed - no salt - and bone dry prior to starting.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
This.

so many quality suits at reasonable prices compared to 10-20 years ago.

can We pivot this into a wetsuit recycle thread?

I have so many past their prime but refuse to toss em but recycling them is such a PITA

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Not sure if they still do, but the Frog House in Newport has historically done professional wet suit repair.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I always just sew mine up with dental floss. Has never done me wrong.
Do you surf Frist Point all the time? I have an old spring suit. It has a torn seam on the side and every time I was out at (Malizoo) First point this guy would see me he'd tell me to sew it up with dental floss.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Do you surf Frist Point all the time? I have an old spring suit. It has a torn seam on the side and every time this guy would see me he'd tell me to sew it up with dental floss.
First Peak at Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz? I used to quite a bit.

First Point Malibu, rarely, and I haven't spoken to anyone at Malibu yet. But he's right.

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
Never knew that made this! Have used Tenacious Tape on a lot (most?) of my outdoor gear and have been happy with the results. Was actually going to suggest OP use Tenacious Tape on the inside of his repair and Aquaseal, Seamgrip or similar on the outside, but now am curious about their neoprene tape.

Aug 30, 2018
If needed , here is a number of a great wetsuit repair person. Woman's name is Theresa
Business is Aquaflite custom wetsuits. Orange County area. They do all repairs. Reasonable , timely and great work.
714-744-1365

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Black Witch wetsuit glue is the best. I haven't been able to find brand name neoprene tape.