We're famous!

jdubbs

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 15, 2002
San Francisco, CA USA
Visit site
...or infamous, depending on your view.<P>From LA Times today:<BR>One surfer posted an anonymous e-mail on Surfer Magazine's Web site proclaiming it more attractive than ever. "I'm booking my tickets now for Bali. You might get it uncrowded. After 9/11 things were super empty. Maybe this time it will be totally empty.... I'm just not going to let Osama take my waves away."<BR> <A HREF="http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-me-ocbali15oct15,0,2682683.story?coll=la%2Dhome%2Dtodays%2Dtimes" TARGET=_blank>http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-me-ocbali15oct15,0,2682683.story?coll=la%2Dhome%2Dtodays%2Dtimes</A>

Jenks

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Las Vegas
If my calculations are correct, the number of BBer's will effectlivly grow to 200% the size today by 2010.<p>[This message has been edited by Jenks (edited 10-15-2002).]

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Whoever it is you oughtta stop that crap. I thought pre-registration was lame with donkeys and nickels and all that, imagine every Hurley(or whatever) wearing, "... I saw <I>THE CRUSH</I> six times!!" LATIMES reader coming in here? It'd be about as much fun as Happy Gilmore when he went back to kindergarten. <P>If shock value was the point,(at the publics common perception, of surfers' expense) compared to some other topics it would be a total faliure if the 'spy-contributor' hadn't been riding on the coat-tails of the media feeding frenzy associated with our unfortunate times. I know it's thier job, and this BB holds it's own relative feedings but I feel as if this BB, and therefor my no-life aZS as well has just been violated.<P>On another hand, if I'd lost someone to any of the terrorist attacks it'd be a real slap in the face to hear about surfers... or at least one surfer, so stoked on cheap airfares because of this stuff. <P>I don't mean to start that other discussion(from the original thread) again, only to add another point of view to my reply. <P>I gotta lay off these sensitive threads, but for some reason there's a Ouija-Board like force pulling my cursor toward the 'submit reply' button. I can't deny this force!! aaaahhggggggggg.....'click'<p>[This message has been edited by TeamScam (edited 10-15-2002).]

Ping-Pong Bob

Miki Dora status
Jan 10, 2002
OC
I think it was Ben Marcus. I think he's trying to get free tickets to the world series down here. I'm gonna keep a lookout on for his van !!!

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuller:<BR><B>The LA Times?<BR>There goes the neighborhood. We oughta slash their tires or something.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Get Sandy to do it... she's an angry young lass [troll]...
<P>

jdubbs

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 15, 2002
San Francisco, CA USA
Visit site
Just for the record, I voted to delete the thread in question--cheap airflights to Bali--considered it ill-fitting and in shockingly poor taste.<P>I think the article paints surfers as typical selfish dudes who are hoping to profit at the expense of others ultimate misfortune, but also as adventurers who won't let terrorists dictate where and when they travel, so I'm torn as to what I think about it. <P>But I wish they could have used one of the quotes about how we sympathized with the victims as surfers and just as fellow humans.<BR>

Spray92109

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
San Diego, CA, USA
jdubbs-<P>I think that the thread in question (TIQ?) had more posts expressing sympathy for the Balinese people, whose livelihood is being destroyed by a fight that is not theirs.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ping-Pong Bob:<BR><B>I think it was Ben Marcus. I think he's trying to get free tickets to the world series down here. I'm gonna keep a lookout on for his van !!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>**** him up PPB <BR>

El Scorcho

Michael Peterson status
Nov 25, 2002
LA CAUSA
How come the LA times didn't mention that riveting discussion we had on sex vs surf? Or how about the saga of the church of norman vs mephistopheles? or even showering with old ladies? That stuff's hard core, man!!